News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Forum shows despite custom permission

Started by hidaka, July 05, 2019, 02:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hidaka

Hi, I'm getting frustrated and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've created a new member group called "Identity Protect" for a specific user; Anonymous. I've set the permissions for this user to only be able to access one specific forum thread. The first time I logged in the account to check if it was successful, it was. It only showed the thread I wanted that user to access. Then after I've logged in using my own admin account (where I started creating posts), and logged back in using the Anonymous account, it now shows the entire forum board. :-\

Any help would be highly appreciated... I've attached a screenshot from my admin panel just in case.
Many thanks in advance!

lurkalot

Allowed groups at the bottom, shouldn't you have the Identity Protect group checked, and the others unchecked?  I'm in a bit of a rush, so might not have read this properly.  If that's not the case I'm sure someone will jump in and help you.

hidaka

Quote from: lurkalot on July 05, 2019, 03:44:09 AM
Allowed groups at the bottom, shouldn't you have the Identity Protect group checked, and the others unchecked?  I'm in a bit of a rush, so might not have read this properly.  If that's not the case I'm sure someone will jump in and help you.

Hi, the allowed groups at the bottom are the groups for the rest of the forum threads that the Identity Protect shouldn't be able to access, that is why Identity Protect is not checked. As the Questions for the Staff forum, that's where the Identity Protect is only checked with the rest of other allowed groups.

Many thanks though ;)

[EDIT]
I think the reason why the Anonymous account can see the entire forum despite unchecking Identity Protect group is because Anonymous is considered (and probably included) a Newbie group member? I tried unchecking the Newbie group and the forum is no longer accessible to Anonymous... but I have no idea how to remove the Anonymous account under the Newbie group if that's the case.

Illori

all users are in 2 groups, their primary group and a post count group. you cannot remove them from the post count groups.

you say that this group should be able to see one "thread", do you mean that this group should only be able to see one board? SMF has no way to restrict who can see a topic.

hidaka

Quote from: Illori on July 05, 2019, 05:01:03 AM
all users are in 2 groups, their primary group and a post count group. you cannot remove them from the post count groups.

you say that this group should be able to see one "thread", do you mean that this group should only be able to see one board? SMF has no way to restrict who can see a topic.

Okay, I understand. I'll use the post anonymously mod instead.
Thank you so much for clarifying this! :laugh:

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You could do this with permissions as well, but it would take careful planning and possibly reworking all access permissions for all boards as 2.0 permissions work so that if any group you belong to has access, then you will have access. 2.1 I believe will actually allow you to do this more simply, by denying access to a specific grouo.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

hidaka

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on July 05, 2019, 09:12:04 AM
You could do this with permissions as well, but it would take careful planning and possibly reworking all access permissions for all boards as 2.0 permissions work so that if any group you belong to has access, then you will have access. 2.1 I believe will actually allow you to do this more simply, by denying access to a specific grouo.

Well, I have 2.0.15 installed... and as I've mentioned from the beginning, I was able to accomplish it once (after creating the member group). I've tried recreating it again a while ago and it was successful again. I don't know why for some reason, after third or nth login using the Anonymous account, all the forum threads shows up again instead of just two forum threads. :-\

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In your picture, post count groups have access - so basically everyone has access.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Additionally, unless you have a mod, you can not (not in 1.1.x, not in 2.0.x and not in 2.1.x) restrict permissions by THREAD.

SMF Permissions are granular to the BOARD level, not the thread level.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hidaka

Quote from: Kindred on July 05, 2019, 09:44:56 AM
Additionally, unless you have a mod, you can not (not in 1.1.x, not in 2.0.x and not in 2.1.x) restrict permissions by THREAD.

SMF Permissions are granular to the BOARD level, not the thread level.

Hi, I apologize for the confusion... I meant the forum board. Sorry, I was used to refer threads as "forum boards," not topics.  ^^;

Kindred

in that case...   it's pretty darned easy to do what you want.

change all post-count based permissions to "disallow"   (which is different from deny)
and remove the post-count based access to that board

then whatever you set to "allow" for the non-post-count-based groups will be the permissions to take effect.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: