News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Blank page step 2 install 2.1 RC2

Started by info33, August 18, 2019, 06:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

info33

Quote from: noquiexis on August 21, 2019, 08:50:39 PM
shawnb61,

From what I see, it is possible that English is not info33's first language. He or she may be using translation software. Please be patient with this. I follow a couple of Greek singers (Despina Vandi and Peggy Zina). Google Translate comes up with some amusing and interesting interpretations!

My hobby website, and the one that I was trying to help, use Coppermine Photo Gallery (CPG) as an integral part of their hobby operations. CPG absolutely will not run on PHP 7. Setting up the WAMP from scratch (I uninstalled WampServer) on my Windows 10 machine is proving more difficult than it should be. I am anxious to try the SMF 2.1rc2 install on my localhost there.

??? ??? ???
Yes its true,english its not me first language but i dont use google translate or another program for this.. ;D
My SMF forum:
https://www.romaniafotovoltaice.com [nofollow]

noquiexis

shawnb61,

I originally installed SMF 2.0.11 on the Windows 7 WAMP and have only done a few upgrades since. That testbed is currently running SMF 2.0.15 and SMF 2.1rc2. I might get SMF 2.1 from Github, but it is still not the final production version. I only wanted to have an advanced peek at it.

My current problem is that I installed my localhost testbed a decade ago, and have done little work with it since. I have forgotten a lot. I need to re-learn how to configure the WAMP (using the standalone packages) for the Windows 10 computer. I prefer the standalone versions of Apache, MySQL, and PHP. The various stack versions that combine these all have good and bad points.

My live website uses PHP 5.6 (to accommodate Coppermine), but I do not know what versions of Apache and MySQL they employ. All I know is that it works.

info33,

I do apologize. I was trying to be helpful, not rude. I did a self-study of a few languages, which was what got me interested in the two singers I mentioned. Google Translate tries to do word-for-work translations, but it loses out on the idioms. It has the 'look', but not the 'flavor' of the original language.

With software functions being deprecated over time, some programs need to have their 'flavor' upgraded to keep up with the changes.

:) :) :)
"To me the meanest flower that blows can give
 Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears."

William Wordsworth

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

noquiexis

After some consideration, I decided that the WampServer stack was not my cup of tea. It would not allow for installation in any path that had spaces, like "Program Files", nor would it allow underscores, such as "public_html". I uninstalled the package and downloaded the latest versions of Apache and MySQL. I already had several PHP version 5* install archives.

Installing the WAMP on "Feodora's" Windows 10 computer was painless, but getting it to work together was not. The MySQL Community Server version 8.0.17 (the latest as of 20 Aug 2019) uses utf8mb4 as its default character set. Finding a way to change this to my preferred utf-8 took some digging. Before that, phpMyAdmin could not connect to the MySQL server.

I did get Feodora's WAMP running and installed SMF 2.1rc2 there. Later on I will install Coppermine Photo Gallery and Blueimp's Ajax Chat. Both my online website and the hobby website that I support use these software packages as an integral part of our operations.

"My" Windows 7 computer has had a WAMP running for a decade. I have both SMF 2.0 15 and SMF 2.1rc2 running there.

*   The current version of Coppermine Photo Gallery will not run on PHP 7.

8) :) 8)

William Wordsworth

Arantor

You really should use utf8mb4 not utf8 for character sets, preferences or not, on the basis that utf8 isn't real utf8 and will over time actually be capable of losing more and more data since it cannot actually hold all UTF-8 characters.

The main (but far from only) thing that utf8mb4 can do but not utf8 is emojis... it only works in SMF because of some seriously gritty code to work around this MySQL limitation.

noquiexis

No one will ever see my localhost but me. I need PHP 5 to support Coppermine, and I am not sure it can do utf8mb4. I posted this in case anyone else is running a testbed for SMF and Coppermine. In the meantime, it works. When Coppermine releases cpg1.6, I might upgrade to PHP 7.

::) :-[ ::)

William Wordsworth

Arantor

It can do utf8mb4 just fine, it covers everything that utf8 does and more.

Just trying to get you used to it before it becomes more mandatory... or before you lose data or wonder why things mysteriously break.

noquiexis

Arantor,

I may upgrade to the utf8mb4 character set eventually, but I just wanted to get the WAMP running on the new (Windows 10) computer. When I installed it on the Windows 7 computer a decade ago, it took me seven weeks before I could see the first SMF page. I installed all of the software from the original developers. I had no clue what I was doing and had to learn the system from scratch.

shawnb61 suggested using the GitHub files, but I could make no sense of the website, what files to get, or how to put them together. I used the archive from the SMF website. As I mentioned earlier, I only wanted to see what the new version looked like.

I forgot to mention that SMF2.1rc2 installed without a hitch on the Windows 10 WAMP. Why it stalled on the Windows 7 WAMP is a mystery to me. We did get a bit off track, as info33's topic was about the install routine stopping.

I can only echo the advice of the others about not using this package in a live website. The "rc" part of the filename means "Release Candidate". It is not intended to replace a working forum.

:-\ :-\ :-\

William Wordsworth

lurkalot

Quote from: noquiexis on August 23, 2019, 10:46:36 AM
     No one will ever see my localhost but me. I need PHP 5 to support Coppermine, and I am not sure it can do utf8mb4. I posted this in case anyone else is running a testbed for SMF and Coppermine. In the meantime, it works. When Coppermine releases cpg1.6, I might upgrade to PHP 7.

::) :-[ ::)

Just upgrade to Coppermine 1.6.xx you shouldn't have any problems, all bar the announcement it is the current release.  I will add, you need to check what Coppermine plugins you're using first though, because some of those might need updating and could cause you problems.  But Coppermine 1.6.xx itself is stable. ;)

noquiexis

lurkalot,

The Coppermine website is still showing "cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!". The "Latest downloads ::. (..download section)" links to a Sourceforge page detailing
"Download Latest Version
cpg1.5.48.zip (19.2 MB)"
although Coppermine's green "Download" button does link to GitHub and "CPG Release 1.6.06" (after another page hop), which I just downloaded.

One has to wonder if this is the official "stable release", or if it is still in beta testing. The "cpg1.6.x-1.6.06.zip" filename makes me think it is "not ready for primetime".

Both info33 and I experienced a stutter in the SMF2.1rc2 installer. I got that on the Windows 7 WAMP but not on the Windows 10 WAMP. Here are the current setups:

Windows 7
Dell Inspiron 530 (April 2009)
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1
Apache 2.4.23  (August 2016 from Apache Lounge)
MySQL  Server 5.6.34 (30 Sep 2016)
PHP 5.6.27 (14 Oct 2016) <-- to accommodate Coppermine
SMF Install browser: Internet Explorer 11 (11.00.9600.19375 - updated 17 May 2019)
WAMP is running both SMF 2.0.15 and SMF 2.1rc2
(Different directories and databases)

Windows 10
Dell XPS 8920 (July 2017)
Windows 10 Home, Version 1903(1 July 2019) Build 18362.295
Apache 2.4.41 (9 Aug 2019) Apache Lounge
MySQL Server 8.0.17 (26 June 2019)
PHP 5.6.27 (14 Oct 2016) <-- to accommodate Coppermine
SMF Install browser: Internet Explorer 11 (11.0.18362.1 - updated 19 Mar 2019)
WAMP is running SMF 2.1rc2. I will install  SMF 2.0.15 there later today.

With so many variables, it will be difficult to judge why the Windows 7 install stuttered, but the Windows 10 install did not. There are some changes between Apache's httpd.conf files and PHP's php.ini files and the entire MySQL server on the two machines.

I configured the localhost installations as close as possible to the online website version, including the Categories and Boards. Later today I will add a few posts (from saved text files) to get a better 'feel' of SMF 2.1rc2 on both machines.

I have the Google Chrome web browser on both computers, but I only use it when absolutely necessary. The Windows 10 computer has that ridiculous Edge browser, which I ignore completely.

:-\ :o :-\

William Wordsworth

lurkalot

Quote from: noquiexis on August 24, 2019, 08:19:45 AM
lurkalot,

The Coppermine website is still showing "cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!". The "Latest downloads ::. (..download section)" links to a Sourceforge page detailing
"Download Latest Version
cpg1.5.48.zip (19.2 MB)"
although Coppermine's green "Download" button does link to GitHub and "CPG Release 1.6.06" (after another page hop), which I just downloaded.

One has to wonder if this is the official "stable release", or if it is still in beta testing. The "cpg1.6.x-1.6.06.zip" filename makes me think it is "not ready for primetime".

Like I said, other than actually announcing that it's ready, you can safely use 1.6.06 As long as any plugins you have installed in Coppermine have been updated for 1.6.xx if not you'll have to remove them or disable them and put in a request to get them updated.

We just haven't had the time to make the release announcement, and update the website accordingly. These things will be done very soon, and all I can do is apologise for any inconvenience.  Meanwhile, have a look at this, https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,79427.0.html

noquiexis

lurkalot,

No apology is necessary, but I do thank you. I am running Coppermine 1.5.48 on both of my home computers and on the live website. My live website gets very little traffic. It is essentially a 'backup' meeting place for the hobby website of which I am a member.

Believe it or not, the 'parent' website is running SMF 2.0 RC5. I gave up trying to talk them into an upgrade. After a web host change and a couple of server changes on their current website, that forum is slowly deteriorating. I get more registrations every time the 'parent' site goes dark!

I only just now finished configuring cpg1.5.48 on the Windows 10 machine and backed up the database. Applying cpg1.6.06 should be a snap!

;) ;) ;)

William Wordsworth

Arantor

You should point out that there are vulnerabilities in 2.0 RC5, some of which can result in a full site takeover.

noquiexis

Arantor,

I have been repeatedly advised, by members of that forum's management, that my suggestions for updating the software are no longer welcome. There is much truth in the words of your signature.

You might think of the one website being the 'parent' of mine, since I designed the forum to have the same look and feel of the 'parent'. I have no intention of stealing members from the 'parent' website, but I wanted the members there to have a comfortable 'lifeboat' for when that website goes dark (which if often does).

The 'parent' website has members who are far more knowledgeable than I about web operations in general, and SMF in particular. Both of our websites use Blueimp's Ajax Chat. A fellow there wrote code for SMF 2.0.15 to display "Who's in Chat" on my forums' Main index pages.* I would never have figured it out.

*   My website has two sets of SMF, Coppermine, and Chat. Each set is for a different aspect of the hobby.

:-[ :-\ :-[

William Wordsworth

Arantor

I really hope that this website isn't in the EU then, because the vulnerabilities patched in those 16 patches extend to being able to get all the user data out which would also constitute a breach of the GDPR. (Especially as "remaining up to date" is somewhat implied in the GDPR too.)

noquiexis

Arantor,

The 'parent' website and mine support the hobby of life-sized dolls. The owners of these dolls, with few exceptions, are very paranoid about family, friends, employers, or neighbors finding out that they even have one (or more) of these dolls. One would think that they'd be all over anything that might protect their anonymity.

"The rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say, is too far off of info33's topic. Look for it in a PM.

:-X :-\ :-X

William Wordsworth

Advertisement: