News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Upgrade Stuck at Making SMF MySQL strict compatible...

Started by Biology Forums, July 19, 2019, 11:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Quote from: drewactual on July 21, 2019, 07:13:03 PM
conceivable?

One of the services my company does is host certain open source platforms, and we also do annual upgrades of them for customers - a simple platform with no upgrades is a week's project for multiple people to actually do the upgrade, do testing, set up staging servers, even though the actual upgrade process is no more than 'push the new code in place of the old code and press go'.

Doing it with SMF is a scary prospect. Even doing it just with SMF databases is fraught with peril.

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Biology Forums

This post marks my 3 week aniversary from when I attempted the upgrade. While it eventually worked, I faced endless problems along the way. Thanks for logging these issues. I hope there's less of a problem down the road.

albertlast

From my eyes is not worth thing to support sutch old software releases and enveriment.
smf 1.1 came from a time where windows vista was "new" everyone how would demand to get support to upgrade to win 10,
would be get laughed at this idea.

Arantor

Yes but you still have to get people up from 1.1 otherwise you're leaving them with no viable upgrade path, which just makes them go elsewhere.

Though this is why I was advocating the OP to upgrade (for years) before now, because I knew this sort of problem would happen.

Biology Forums

Honestly, I've been waiting for 2.1 to be released officially for 2 years now. I didn't anticipate it'd take this long, and in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't do it then because my knowledge in coding only got better recently. Had I done it then, I would have ran into countless issues, and would have cost me a lot of money.

Arantor

No, this is why I've been trying to get you to 2.0 for years - because you'd have none of this pain now.

Biology Forums

The issue I faced with upgrading came b/c I'm dealing with a mammoth of a database. Whether I upgrade from 1.x to 2.0.x or 2.1, I'll still be facing similar problems. Hypothetically, had I upgraded then to 2.0.x, then to 2.1 now, again, the database size is the problem.

Arantor

Pretty sure it wouldn't have been so much of a problem 5 years ago when I first tried to get you to upgrade...

shawnb61

There is truth in all of the above...
- Yes, the 1.x to 2.1 is buggy.  This is documented in the issues noted above.
- Yes, large DBs pose some unique challenges, especially if your server is not configured for it.
- And yes, absolutely, for security and features and php/mysql support, it is very important to stay as current as possible.  Especially for security reasons.  Especially in this day & age...  Read the news...   :P

@Study Force - When those PRs are merged, I would really appreciate it if you would attempt the full conversion again using the latest from github.  Yes, I know it's asking a lot.  But for all the reasons noted above, yours is a perfect test case.  I believe it will be significantly more straightforward next time.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Biology Forums

Quote@Study Force - When those PRs are merged, I would really appreciate it if you would attempt the full conversion again using the latest from github.  Yes, I know it's asking a lot.  But for all the reasons noted above, yours is a perfect test case.  I believe it will be significantly more straightforward next time.

PRs -- I'm having a brain fart here, what does that mean?

Antechinus

Pull requests. ;)
(IOW, proposals for integrating new code on Github)

Biology Forums

Sure, I'll give it a go! Just re-update this thread when ready

Ben_S

Probably won't make a lot of difference, but sounds like you are running it through the browser, you would be best running it via cli - php -f upgrade.php
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Advertisement: