Advertisement:

Author Topic: Images and Image storage  (Read 311 times)

Offline airdave

• Semi-Newbie
Images and Image storage
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
I'm looking for advice or opinions on how to handle images on my forum.

I have a quiet forum...600 members, but really only about 1-2 dozen regularly active posters.
So the load is not impressive.

I post a lot of images myself, but I direct link to images stored at mediafire.
Its a forum for and about scale models, so photo images are quite essential to discussion.

My forum was originally hosted on a friend's webspace, so I had limited disk storage (1.5Gb).
While the forum itself only used about a third of the diskspace, I knew that allowing image attachments could eat up that storage real quick
So, for 8 years I have pushed my members to use external image storage and direct linking in their posts.
For the last 3 years, I installed an add-on image thing that allowed you to add images directly into your posts but with remote storage
(It worked intermittently it seemed, images were slow to load, and some people reported security warnings)

Now that I have moved my forum to my own webhosting, and have more storage space available (10Gb), I am rethinking allowing image attachments.

But I am unsure of how much space this would occupy and whether its a smart thing to do.
Does anyone have any idea of what amount of my disk storage will be swallowed up by member's attachments (specifically jpeg images).

Or, should I install an Image hosting add-on? and if so, which one works best?

Or, should I leave it as "no image attachments" and continue to push the external storage/direct linking option?

Your thoughts?

Online vbgamer45

• Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
    • smfhacks on Facebook
    • VBGAMER45 on GitHub
    • @createaforum on Twitter
    • SMF For Free
Re: Images and Image storage
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 02:03:23 PM »
I prefer using your own space for image storage. The issue with third parties is they tend to come and go and you can loose images. And most webhosting plans today offer a lot of space.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Offline peterbehlendorf

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »
I generally use imgur for hotlinking, it's been used by reddit for years and I don't see them blocking it anytime soon.

Maybe silently allow attachments so that a good portion of your user base continue to upload elsewhere?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• SMF Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 12:50:40 AM »
I prefer using your own space for image storage. The issue with third parties is they tend to come and go and you can loose images. And most webhosting plans today offer a lot of space.

^ This.  The many photobucket images on your forum are blurred with a watermark over them, basically useless due to a change in photobucket's usage policy.  You have plenty of host storage for your forum.

Offline shadav

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 01:00:51 AM »

^ This.  The many photobucket images on your forum are blurred with a watermark over them, basically useless due to a change in photobucket's usage policy.  You have plenty of host storage for your forum.
and you can use smush.it on attached images to help lower the file sizes as well, there's a mod for it ;)