Notifying admin when a new member joins - STOPPED WORKING

Started by Roozbeh, November 30, 2019, 03:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roozbeh

Hi,

I have been using SMF for over 3 years and I have to say everything was more than satisfactory. I used smtp.gmail [nofollow] to send email to user and everything was working perfectly. All of a sudden couple of weeks ago I realized that SMTP stopped working (for some unknown reason) so switched to "PHP Setting". New users start receiving activation email again but I realized there was no notification email to me (as admin) to let me know that new member joined. before creating this topic I went through all the old topic and tried everything but unfortunately none worked. The fact that new users will be able to receive the activation email (during registration) and not me confuses me the most. would you please help me to understand what went wrong here?

FYI, I'm currently using version 2.0.15.

thank you in advance.

-Roozbeh

m4z

Is the box under Admin > Members > Registration > Settings > "Notify administrators when a new member joins" ticked?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Roozbeh

yes it was and it is. As I mentioned it was working for three years with no issue. I also checked my database the value under _setting -> notify_admin is set to 1 as well.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

no nothing so far. Just to check, I did register myself using the same email provider (i.e. outlook) address to see whether I get any email and answer was yes. I could get activation email from forum but nothing as admin.

Sir Osis of Liver

Try sending yourself an email with attached.  Edit file to include your webmaster address and mail to address (your admin account).

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

Yes I did use this script before and it works. I could send email to myself so issue is not my server either. I went a bit further and tried to debug the notifyadmin() function unfortunately not much success still could not figure out the issue.

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

No error message when using PHP default. Error messages appears when I switch back to smtp which is different story.

Sir Osis of Liver

If testmail.php works, and members receive activation emails, forum is sending emails, so there's nothing wrong with your email setup.  If your admin email address receives test email, they're not being blocked as spam.  Is your webmaster address @gmail.com?

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

yes you are correct problem is not my email server. to answer your question I'm using @outlook.com.

one thing I did was to hard code the content of testmail.php into the notifyadmin() function but unfortunately could not make it work. SMF start crashing during member registration. I think I need to study more php before going this direction. 

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

glad you asked, no I can not receive any newsletter either. very strange!!

Sir Osis of Liver

If you have a test account with outlook email address that receives emails, make it admin and see if emails still work.

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

here we go, I added new account using one of my old email addresses ([email protected]) and it worked. I did send a newsletter to both admins but the only latest account received it.

would you please explain what went wrong? I really like to figure out the issue and somehow get involve into development if possible.

Sir Osis of Liver

Change the email address in your original admin account, see if that fixes it.

- R. Waters

Illori

Roozbeh

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 30, 2019, 06:26:11 PM
Change the email address in your original admin account, see if that fixes it.

I removed the test admin account and changed my email address to the one tested minutes ago and everything is working. thanks a lot for your help. but here is the question, if the issue was simply email address why did I receive email using testmail.ohp?

Sir Osis of Liver

That's what I'm wondering.  The problem is obviously with the one email account, something to do with server settings or spam filters, but why do test emails get through?

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

If this help, the testmail email went directly to my spam folder but it went through as you mentioned..

Advertisement: