change default time zone for new members?

Started by willemb, October 08, 2020, 04:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willemb

Fully aware of the risks we're running 2.1 RC2 in "production". In our case this means: a closed forum for a 200 member club.

When registering a new member the timezone defaults to UTC instead of what my users and I would expect: "forum default". So for each new member I have to change that manually. Instructing my users to change this themselves is not an option. Is there a way to change this? Where is this "template" for new users, in some .php file?

In line with this question: Is there way to bulk correct the timezone for all existing members?

W2NAP

Hmm,

Admin > Config > General
Is Forum default timezone set correctly?
What about Overall time offset?

What is server timezone vs timezone you want to have?

I am using 2.1rc3 and everything appears to be working fine for me, I am set to America/New_York and server is also set New York. Guests and New Mems show correct America/New_York time

willemb

Quote from: W2NAP on October 09, 2020, 12:13:55 PM
Is Forum default timezone set correctly?
What about Overall time offset?

What is server timezone vs timezone you want to have?

Server timezone = forum default = Europe/Amsterdam = (currently still DST) UTC +2. The offset = 0. But a new user gets UTC, which doesn't make sense to me. Unless you're making a forum for a worldwide audience....

shawnb61

IIRC, there were some tz issues in early rc2...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: