News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Converting from mysql to postgresql

Started by shawnb61, October 31, 2020, 02:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb61

I have successfully created a copy of a forum from mysql into pg.  This required a couple of utilities, linked below.

These utilities work for SMF2.1 only.

Prepwork:
  - Install a vanilla version of PG & get it fully working.  Truncate all tables.
  - Your source mysql SMF DB must be UTF8.
  - Your source mysql SMF DB must include ONLY vanilla tables & columns. Source & target tables & columns must match perfectly.
  - If needed, create a copy & delete all extraneous rows & columns and do the mysqldump from there.

Overall Process - for use on Windows:
 (1) Use the following command to do the export:
    mysqldump -u{user} -p{pass} --no-create-db --no-create-info --hex-blob --skip-add-locks --skip-comments --skip-set-charset --compact --skip-quote-names --complete-insert {dbname} > {myfile.sql}
 (2) Run the pg_converter.php utility, reading the mysqldump just created & creating a new .sql file
 (3) Specify the $infile, $outfile & $path when prompted
 (4) Open a command window
 (5) Issue the following in the Windows command window (otherwise it assumes import is in Windows 1252, not utf8...):
    SET PGCLIENTENCODING=utf-8
 (6) Log on to psql, connect to your new empty vanilla pg DB
 (7) Load file with: \i mynewfile.sql
 (8 ) After load, you must fix all the SEQUENCE #s...
 (9) Run repair_settings.php to correct paths
 (10) Copy over your attachments, avatars, custom avatars & smileys
 (11) Clear your cache

Utilities used:
pg_converter.php: https://github.com/sbulen/sjrbTools/blob/master/pg_converter.php
pg_convert_seqs.php - fixes all the sequence #s: https://github.com/sbulen/sjrbTools/blob/master/pg_convert_seqs.php

Limitations:
Some JSON fields will get busted.  You will need to fix these by hand.  This utility does some simple translations of quotes to the pg format & since it is operating on the whole mysql export file, it treats text & code the same.  This does break some JSON fields. 

I hope this helps,

NOTE:  This has only been tested with ipv4 data.  It has also only been tested with mysql v5.7 & pg v10.  Also, only 2.1 RC3. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb61

I recently used these utilities to convert a mid-sized MySQL 8.0 DB (200K posts) to pg v14.1.  SMF 2.1 RC4.

It did break some JSON, which I repaired by hand.  A note about the JSON limitation was added above.

Note that due to the different quote requirements between SMF2.0 & SMF2.1, this approach only works for SMF2.1.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

albertlast

how is the ip converting handle by this process?

shawnb61

Mysqldump is told to do it as hex. The utility parses the hex & translates it.

Only tested with ipv4 thus far.

AllMassive

would be nice if some 'convert.php' would be available
* AllMassive hides

Gryzor

Thanks for this tutorial. Found this thread because we're considering upgrading to a new server with postgresql. 

However, what is meant by "ONLY vanilla tables & columns"?

Thanks!

shawnb61

Since you're inserting rows into existing tables, the contents must match your newly installed blank db exactly.  So, all "vanilla" - no custom columns or tables, e.g., from mods.

Gryzor

Quote from: shawnb61 on August 28, 2023, 07:03:06 AMSince you're inserting rows into existing tables, the contents must match your newly installed blank db exactly.  So, all "vanilla" - no custom columns or tables, e.g., from mods.
Ah damn, I was afraid so... this sucks, what a pity! But thanks nonetheless!

Advertisement: