what portal do you all like the best

Started by {420}legion, November 22, 2005, 02:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

{420}legion

I was just wondering what portal you all prefer, I have 2 sites 420hitsquad and bigdogsurf, I love smf and have been using php nuke

Wolfenrook

I swear by MK Portal, easy to install and configure and it is easy to integrate with SMF.  Also they have some great modules, including one for Gallery 2 (my favourite gallery).  Best of all it can use the themes from your SMF install (most of them anyway).  I've tried Mambo/Joomla, Xoops, php and post nuke and cpg Dragonfly and none of them can compare to MK Portal overall.  If you want to see my site running a combination of SMF 1.1 RC1, MK Portal, Flash Chat and gallery 2 then pm me as I wont advertise it on the forums.

Ade
Thoughts are free, it's their consequences that often have a cost.

gerrymore

Give Tiny Portal a look. Its actually an SMF mod, rather than anything standalone. It is still in Beta, but it's already very stable. Not much in the way of modules out yet, but there are some in the pipeline. Uses the database, same themes (but TP versions), and very flexible.www.tinyportal.net
SMF RC1, Tiny Portal 0.75, Coppermine 1.3.3, Flashchat.

laser

I've tried Xoops and Dragonfly, both are absolute rubbish IMHO.

Joomla takes a bit of getting used to, but you can do ANYTHING as well.  It's magic, and a community of over 10,000 users is pretty good :)

Harro

I'm an MKPortal user.
Very happy with it. Works great.

Aquilo

WSA

I think Tiny Portal is probably the best one out there right now.  I have also used Mambo and Simple Portal but I feel that TP is very suited to my needs.

It's awesome because you can just upload it using the package manager in SMF, so it makes for a very easy install.

Prasad007

I too was a MK Portal lover until i had the taste of Tiny Portal ;)

ezurick

I downloaded this Enigma 2.0 [ßeta] and followed the instructions.  The instructions are not correct.  It tells you to CHMOD on files and directories that do not exist!  So when you get to the part to point to the smf/admin and select "package manager"... they claim you should see "LSP Enigma 2.0 (Beta) Installation Package"... I see NOTHING!  Scratch this one!  Another one bites the dust.

Quote from: Aquilo on November 23, 2005, 08:30:01 PM
I like the one I've been woking on! :D

I liked the idea TinyPortal is compatible and easy to install... but it's just not what I am looking for.  I don't want my portal to be plastered with the forum... I would like a portal that is compatible to smf databases (meaning if they log into the portal, they will be logged into the forum).  And then I want the portal to be completely controlled outside of smf.  Meaning the forum is a link on the portal only.  The problem with this is that once the user goes to the forum, they are stuck there, unless they constant backpage or reload the url at the portal.  Anyone know if a free portal that is like this?  To date.. every portal I see has the forum plastered all over it... Again, I only want the forum as a link... and somehow in the forum would be a link to get back to the portal...  I am not a php programmer and I can't find a way to incorpoarate this... any help or advice?

bloc

That would really be the idea of an CMS I think..a portal is *usually* just wrapped around the forum, while CMS can plugin into it. Sounds like Joomla will be your best bet, since its standalone, and works seemless with SMF.

The name "Tinyportal" really says it all. :)

Luke

Quote from: ezurick on February 11, 2006, 08:56:03 AM
I downloaded this Enigma 2.0 [ßeta] and followed the instructions.  The instructions are not correct.  It tells you to CHMOD on files and directories that do not exist!  So when you get to the part to point to the smf/admin and select "package manager"... they claim you should see "LSP Enigma 2.0 (Beta) Installation Package"... I see NOTHING!  Scratch this one!  Another one bites the dust.

Quote from: Aquilo on November 23, 2005, 08:30:01 PM
I like the one I've been woking on! :D

I liked the idea TinyPortal is compatible and easy to install... but it's just not what I am looking for.  I don't want my portal to be plastered with the forum... I would like a portal that is compatible to smf databases (meaning if they log into the portal, they will be logged into the forum).  And then I want the portal to be completely controlled outside of smf.  Meaning the forum is a link on the portal only.  The problem with this is that once the user goes to the forum, they are stuck there, unless they constant backpage or reload the url at the portal.  Anyone know if a free portal that is like this?  To date.. every portal I see has the forum plastered all over it... Again, I only want the forum as a link... and somehow in the forum would be a link to get back to the portal...  I am not a php programmer and I can't find a way to incorpoarate this... any help or advice?

So exactly what files were not present that should have been?

I've checked the documentation for the files listed, and if the instructions are followed correctly, they are there.
At least, they should be if you installed SMF first. The files that need modified are SMF files, with the exception
of the cache directory for the Captcha. But then again, that's there too if you followed the directions properly.

Installing Enigma 2 isn't much more difficult than installing SMF.

Upload the files, run the package in the package manager that was uploaded with
the other Enigma 2 files, let the install script run and install the database, and you're done.

Granted it isn't as simple as uploading a file to the package manager and that's it, but then
again Enigma 2 has a lot of its own files, and only modifies 3 core SMF files.

Did you ask any questions on the LSP site at www.lunabyte.net or anything?

Help's always there.

Enigma 2 could easily suit your needs. You could turn off the forum if you wanted to, and  just run a site.
It can be a simple or as complex as your needs. Of course, if you're willing to put in some effort.

Doug

good answer, very cut and dry..........to the point...

I personally like my portal the best.

http://jaxdoug.com

Only one file was altered.

YAP Portal

afaa

I'm new to CMS but so far I've tried Drupal and Mambo. I realy like Mambo. It's a steep learning curve but powerful and nice looking.

Arkanthos

If you are pretty good with phpNuke then you'll LOVE tinyportal. You can virtually copy paste blocks from it over into TP. The neatest feature of TP that I have yet to see ANYWHERE in nuke is the ability to modify and preview css modifications on the fly, from the admin pannel. Usually you have to modify it, then upload, see what it looks like and then modify it again. I've converted nearly completely to SMF+TP, after using IPB, phpBB, PostNuke

If you are looking for more features in a portal, and don't like regular phpNuke anymore. You might want to look into phpNuke Platinum 7.6 I know it's nuke all over again, but it has every feature known to man, even if the theme selection for it is a little slim. Hopefully the guys that made platinum have their site up again, it's been down for a while as they remodeled. hxxp:www.techgfx.com [nonactive]

DrShecky

Joomla, it takes a few weeks of playing around with it before you can exploit it's power, but once you get the hang of it the things you can do are amazing.
  At first it seems bulky and redundent, but if you stick it out, you soon realize that what you took for redundent, and bulky is actually unlimited customization.

Kromel

Tried them all, Tiny Portal for teh win!

taherk

Keep up the good work... this is the most seeked integration

guilliam

----
SMF ported on Joomla:
http://www.jcip-zugbuana.org

babjusi

TinyPortal all the way, the best portal ever

Advertisement: