Attachment Image Resizing SMF 2.1

Started by gevv, April 04, 2021, 09:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gevv

Hello,

required for large  images (in my opinion) (new generation phones   thousands of px large megabyte >:(  :) )
ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

shadav

there is this mod: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4087

however it is not for 2.1 yet, once 2.1 is finalized and not still in rc, I'm sure it will be updated

gevv

Thanks @shadav,

I'm following that aarr. mod, but  of smf 2.1 support didn't come for a long time
ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

mucknet

I'd also really like to see this built into the core. I've spent a several hours trying to get the above mentioned mod working. I may or may not get it working, who knows.

I read an older thread in here where there were 3 pages of people debating the merits of photos, the definition of social media vs forums, etc... But I think it's somewhat silly to ignore the fact that people are visual, and like posting photos, and those photos are unnecessarily huge by default.

I'd love to see this built into the software. Thanks!

Also, as an aside, I upgraded to 2.1.1 in an attempt to get the mentioned mod working, and I really like it. It feels much more modern with tags, and likes, and I hope it continues in that direction.

FrizzleFried

I can say that the above mod ... the new version (6.12) released in the last couple days ... works PERFECTLY.

It's reducing 4MB phone images (why is phone tech so bad that's the minimum size people can seem to generate with them?!?) down to 38-60K... BEAUTIFUL!  No errors.  Works awesome.

Arantor

The main issue with modern phones is that they have surprisingly high end sensors that capture a lot of detail and by default try to preserve that. There are photographers out there who use their phones instead of traditional high end cameras because the quality is comparable at a lower price point.

Of course, high end photography produces large pictures... even if the photographer isn't the greatest photographer of them all.

I hope these options remain as *options* (core is fine as long as downsizing isn't mandatory) because high end photography sites do often do comparison shots and like the extra detail being saved.

FrizzleFried

Even my digital camera from 15 years ago had the OPTION to save in a lower resolution ... or even multiple resolutions.  It seems the phones of today don't do that.  I don't know to be honest... I'm not interested in those toys.

Arantor

My iPhone does too but you have to go find the settings for it. It's all otherwise about the "point and shoot" aspect.

I don't even think we're advocating for different things or from a wildly different starting point, just "let's not rule out keeping the high quality even if you have to opt into it" because no point breaking things for users who could actually benefit from it.

mucknet

Quote from: Arantor on March 22, 2022, 12:19:02 PMMy iPhone does too but you have to go find the settings for it. It's all otherwise about the "point and shoot" aspect.

I don't even think we're advocating for different things or from a wildly different starting point, just "let's not rule out keeping the high quality even if you have to opt into it" because no point breaking things for users who could actually benefit from it.

Absolutely. Thanks for the clarification. I would also like to see it as an option, not a mandatory resize.

Also, FWIW, the mod is actually working for me, it was 100% user error, no fault of the mod. To me however, this feature, similar to likes and tags is a requirement for "modern" forum software. Thanks guys! Have a good one.

Oldiesmann

My Android phone (Pixel 6) has the option to change resolution somewhat as well but only limited - "full resolution" and "medium resolution" (with options for 4:3 and 16:9 crop as well). I haven't investigated whether other camera apps offer more control though
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: