SMF Support > SMF 1.1.x Support

Help restoring forum content

(1/2) > >>

milan.major:
Hello guys!

I'm not an SMF expert, and not an IT expert either. I have a forum database dump back from 2010, az old text based rpg game that me and my friends played a loooong time ago.
I'd like to restore the forum. We don't have the files, the pretty design and whatnot, but that's not my aim, I just want to make the forum browsable and readable as it was back in the day.

Is there a way to do that?

Kindred:
sure.

Do you know what version of SMF was used back with the old site?   Was it a 2.0.x or a 1.1.x forum?

If 2.0.x, then it's easy.

Install 2.0.18 on your site.
Then drop all tables in the (new) database
restore the backup by importing it into the (now empty) database
download repair_settings.php from our site here https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php
upload repair_settings.php to your server
run repair_settings.php in order to reset the paths, directories, URLs, etc

your site should have been restored.

milan.major:
Apparently my dump is not a complete one, just a simple backup sql that assumes that the original forum, database and tables exist. So my dumpfile does not contain any CREATE TABLE stuff, nor the types of the columns, only a gazillion INSERT INTO arguments. Is there a way to still recover this?

Sir Osis of Liver:
Depending on what exactly you have, you can create a new database, do a clean forum install to populate it with tables, dump the database, then copy your content into the new tables using a text editor.  New db would have to be same version your old install was running.  Did something similar once to rebuild a large, trashed db.  Wasn't much fun, wouldn't do it again, but it worked.

shawnb61:
If it is complete, you should be able to do an install, truncate the tables, and perform the inserts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version