News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Profile data format

Started by spiros, September 10, 2021, 08:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiros

I tested the profile data export here and got 5 files. Wouldn't it be more practical if it was a single file, preferably zipped?

Sesquipedalian

During development we encountered problems when the files became excessively large, so they are capped at a certain size. The necessary libraries to create ZIP files are unavailable on many PHP hosts.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

Because it's impossible to write a user land library for such, such as https://github.com/chamilo/pclzip ?

In any case, since the package manager now relies on ZipArchive, why not use that?

spiros

A, great, it makes sense now, ensuring wider compatibility. I wonder if it is the same with gzip. I guess most Linux servers must have that on.
Also, multiple files could be generated, and then be compressed in one.

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Arantor on September 10, 2021, 10:37:05 AMBecause it's impossible to write a user land library for such, such as https://github.com/chamilo/pclzip ?

In any case, since the package manager now relies on ZipArchive, why not use that?

At least in part because it didn't occur to me, I suppose. :) Still, I don't think we will add this now. Testing time, and all that.

There is, however, a convenient "Download All" button that shows up when the export consists of multiple files, so that downloading everything is still a one-click effort for the user.

Quote from: spiros on September 10, 2021, 10:39:41 AMAlso, multiple files could be generated, and then be compressed in one.

For large exports, it can be torture to the browser (or whatever other application) to open the entire dataset in a single document.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: