Where did 2.1 put the "new replies" warning?

Started by Grammy, May 28, 2021, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

Hey, guys, where did you put the "Don't warn on new replies made while posting" warning in 2.1RC3 that was a profile option in older versions?  I'm just groping around like the old lady I am. 

8)  < ---  me

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Grammy

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 28, 2021, 10:00:32 PM
Looks like it's been removed.

Ah....   well, it keeps popping up in the forum and I'd love to put it out of my misery.   :D

I'm trying to look through the Github files but search fields hate me. 

Grammy

I see this block in Post.english.php:

$txt['error_new_reply'] = 'Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.';
$txt['error_new_replies'] = 'Warning - while you were typing %1$d new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.';
$txt['error_new_reply_reading'] = 'Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.';
$txt['error_new_replies_reading'] = 'Warning - while you were reading %1$d new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.';

Now I need to find where else it's hiding...    :-\

Post.php (slowly but surely...)

$txt['error_new_replies'] = isset($_GET['last_msg']) ? $txt['error_new_reply_reading'] : $txt['error_new_reply'];
else
$txt['error_new_replies'] = sprintf(isset($_GET['last_msg']) ? $txt['error_new_replies_reading'] : $txt['error_new_replies'], $context['new_replies']);

Okay, is there an "off-switch"?  I'm no coder.    :D

Sir Osis of Liver

The code in Posts.php looks for a setting -

if (!empty($context['new_replies']))

but there doesn't appear to be an option in profile or member settings.  If you want to eliminate it for all members, this should work -

$context['new_replies'] = null;

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Grammy

I commented out those sections and things seem to be good.  I'm headed to bed, but I'd like to leave this marked unsolved just long enough to revisit the behavior? 

Grammy

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 28, 2021, 10:23:16 PM
The code in Posts.php looks for a setting -

but there doesn't appear to be an option in profile or member settings.  If you want to eliminate it for all members, this should work -

$context['new_replies'] = null;

Oh, thanks so much!  I'm sure all the members would be in agreement with getting rid of it.   :)

Grammy

Grammy

This is solved but if anyone sees my new reply, I just wanted to ask...  was this setting option deliberately left out of 2.1 or will it be in the finalized version?  I ask because I was kicking around the idea of actually trying to wrangle it back into profile settings, but I thought I'd wait to see if it was going to be included at some point.   

Just messing around on my test site.  :)

Douglas

I'm bumping this back up.

This is a CORE feature that MUST be restored before SMF 2.1 Final is released.

This needs to be an end-user configurable, as well as globally configurable option.

Thanks!
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Douglas

Ahh, crap... totally forgot about that... but didn't see my post in search results, either.

Thanks, Shawn!
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Advertisement: