Remember board selection in search?

Started by spiros, February 07, 2022, 10:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiros

Currently, if one goes to action=search and selects certain boards only, runs the search, then returns to action=search, the selected boards do not apply anymore and "Check all" is checked (same applies to 2.1).

Is it possible to remember board selection and make consecutive searches based on that?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The selections would have to be saved somewhere, I don't think it's an option in SMF out of the box.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

spiros

I think it would be a useful feature. Why make the user having to reenter boards with every search? A cookie or something?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Could be useful for some, but honestly I do think most would find that annoying if anything. Having to clear out old selections before making another search ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

spiros

It could be a checkbox option to remember the search.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

True, and there could be a quick "clear" -option to empty selections at once too.
Though I do still think this would probably be best as a modification at this time.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Arantor

So the reason for not doing it as suggested is because in the (significant) majority of cases filtering boards is not a consistent exercise, but contextual to the search. With the side note that boards you're ignoring are deselected by default in all cases (because you're ignoring them but you can opt in if context might improve things)

I don't know what your use case is but it does sound like you want a mod.

I really can't imagine this being intuitive behaviour though, I wonder if this is use case dependent.

spiros

Great, Arantor! I learned something new, I did not know that ignoring boards results in them being ignored in search too! So that, in essence, is a way to remember (non-)selection. Close enough to what the topic is about. Only available on SMF 2.1 as far as I can see.

Arantor

No, it was in 2.0 as well, I've had all the non-English boards ignored here for as long as I can remember.

The functionality for ignoring boards is not new, not even newly configurable, just actually spotlighted in the menu.

spiros

Interesting, I could find such an option in my SMF 2 sites until I run an admin search in order to find the option "Allow boards to be ignored" unchecked!

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: