News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

database

Started by Jacky.vdv, March 09, 2022, 05:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacky.vdv

Hey,

Anyone who can help me? I had a forum for motorcyclists but that has stopped, now I have adapted the forum for my darts club, texts and images but the database is still in the name of motorcycle friends, I now work with a forwarding domain but would like to use the database in the name of my having a darts club, is that difficult?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I sort of think I understand the question, but I'm not really completely sure - Could you try to explain what you want to change in a bit more detail?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Jacky.vdv on March 09, 2022, 05:04:18 AMHey,

Anyone who can help me? I had a forum for motorcyclists but that has stopped, now I have adapted the forum for my darts club, texts and images but the database is still in the name of motorcycle friends, I now work with a forwarding domain but would like to use the database in the name of my having a darts club, is that difficult?

You want to change domains, right? Like I said to you in your other topic, all you have to do is restore the database of the domain that you do not use anymore to the database that you used to install your smf forum for the new domain. Then upload and run repair_settings.php tool to straighten out all the paths and urls so they can point to the new domain and you should be good to go.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

Jacky.vdv

when I download that I get a text file, I have no idea what to do with this

I have no idea about that, someone else installed that forum, I can edit files and pictures but I prefer to stay out of the database,

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Are these two domains on the same server? If yes, you could possibly be able to just move the files under the different domain and use repair_settings to fix paths and urls to reflect the move. If not, you will probably want someone to help you with this if you have no experience with moving databases around.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Jacky.vdv

motorcycle friends is no longer used and it should change to nakkavlaanderen.be
I now work with a forwarding but this is not a solution. www.nakkavlaanderen.be

Sir Osis of Liver

repair_settings.php is a standalone script, you upload it to forum root and run it with direct link (nakkavlaanderen.be/repair_settings.php).  But first you have to do what Lex suggested and move forum files to new domain.  Host configurations vary, but if both domains are on same host, one will be the primary, forum files should be in /public_html (not always).  Addon domains are listed as separate directories.  Guessing motorvrienden.com is your primary, forum files would be in /public_html.  You should see another directory for /nakkavlaanderen.be.  You have to copy all files from /public_html into /nakkavlaanderen.be, upload repair_settings.php to same, then run it to fix database settings, and again to fix paths.  You don't actually do anything to the database.  If you're unable to move the files, your host should be able to do it for you.  Don't forget to remove the redirect.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Jacky.vdv

Pff that won't work, I see it already knowing me. Motorvrienden.com is the primary and nakkavlaanderen.be is a forwarding. That has to be the primary and motorcycle friends will be canceled, so I will only work with nakkavlaanderen.be. Motorcycle friends is in public.html

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Jacky.vdv on March 09, 2022, 10:52:35 AMmotorcycle friends is no longer used and it should change to nakkavlaanderen.be
I now work with a forwarding but this is not a solution. www.nakkavlaanderen.be

Running repair_settings.php will do just that.

Quote from: Jacky.vdv on March 09, 2022, 10:35:22 AMwhen I download that I get a text file, I have no idea what to do with this

I have no idea about that, someone else installed that forum, I can edit files and pictures but I prefer to stay out of the database,

Did you simply download it in your pc and that was it?

You should upload it in the root of your forum and then point the browser to it and run it to update all the paths and url to point to the new domain. The tool will do that automatically. You do not need to be in the database yourself at all.

Steve

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 09, 2022, 12:20:06 PMrepair_settings.php is a standalone script, you upload it to forum root and run it with direct link (nakkavlaanderen.be/repair_settings.php).  But first you have to do what Lex suggested and move forum files to new domain.  Host configurations vary, but if both domains are on same host, one will be the primary, forum files should be in /public_html (not always).  Addon domains are listed as separate directories.  Guessing motorvrienden.com is your primary, forum files would be in /public_html.  You should see another directory for /nakkavlaanderen.be.  You have to copy all files from /public_html into /nakkavlaanderen.be, upload repair_settings.php to same, then run it to fix database settings, and again to fix paths.  You don't actually do anything to the database.  If you're unable to move the files, your host should be able to do it for you.  Don't forget to remove the redirect.

Quote from: Jacky.vdv on March 09, 2022, 01:03:14 PMPff that won't work
If you're going to reject helpful solutions to your problem out of hand, what's the point of coming here?
DO NOT pm me for support!

@rjen

@Jacky.vdv you will need to move the database. I can explain it to you. You know how to reach me ...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Sir Osis of Liver

Shouldn't have to move the database, just the files.  If Settings.php is included, new install should still connect to database from new domain. 

Quote from: Jacky.vdv on March 09, 2022, 01:03:14 PMMotorvrienden.com is the primary and nakkavlaanderen.be is a forwarding. That has to be the primary and motorcycle friends will be canceled, so I will only work with nakkavlaanderen.be. Motorcycle friends is in public.html

nakkavlaanderen.be must be a valid domain, not a "forwarding", it's redirecting to motorvrienden.com.  You can't change the primary yourself, unless you're on a dedicated server.  Host would have to do that.  Assuming nakkavlaanderen.be is an addon domain, I'm tempted to suggest renaming /public_html > /nakkavlaanderen.be, and /nakkavlaanderen.be > /public_html, but from the drift of this topic it's probably not a good idea. :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Jacky.vdv

Quote from: Steve on March 09, 2022, 01:20:06 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 09, 2022, 12:20:06 PMrepair_settings.php is a standalone script, you upload it to forum root and run it with direct link (nakkavlaanderen.be/repair_settings.php).  But first you have to do what Lex suggested and move forum files to new domain.  Host configurations vary, but if both domains are on same host, one will be the primary, forum files should be in /public_html (not always).  Addon domains are listed as separate directories.  Guessing motorvrienden.com is your primary, forum files would be in /public_html.  You should see another directory for /nakkavlaanderen.be.  You have to copy all files from /public_html into /nakkavlaanderen.be, upload repair_settings.php to same, then run it to fix database settings, and again to fix paths.  You don't actually do anything to the database.  If you're unable to move the files, your host should be able to do it for you.  Don't forget to remove the redirect.

Quote from: Jacky.vdv on March 09, 2022, 01:03:14 PMPff that won't work
If you're going to reject helpful solutions to your problem out of hand, what's the point of coming here?

Because I thought it would be easier and I don't want to do anything wrong.

Kindred

given your level of experience, you probably want to involve your host to help you switch the main domain of the site...  once that is done, you can make edits to the SMF installation in order to correct the URL and paths.

Modifications to your server setup is outside of our control/support. We can make suggestions, but your HOST is the one who would know exactly what to do.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jacky.vdv

as I expected I'm messing up my forum, that's why I don't work on cars either. Each his profession

www.nakkavlaanderen.be

Jacky.vdv

Quote from: Kindred on March 10, 2022, 07:59:37 AMgiven your level of experience, you probably want to involve your host to help you switch the main domain of the site...  once that is done, you can make edits to the SMF installation in order to correct the URL and paths.

Modifications to your server setup is outside of our control/support. We can make suggestions, but your HOST is the one who would know exactly what to do.

That's why I'm stuck, my host has removed the old url and made nakkavlaanderen.be primary, they can help with host problems but not with changes to forum files, they do give tips but the problems only get worse. I had to change the url in settings.php but that is the result www.nakkavlaanderen.be

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That looks like the site is there, but can't load theme files. Repair_settings.php should be able to help you fix this.
What is repair_settings.php?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

@rjen

Jacky is helped. Forum files had indeed been moved, together we ran repair_settings and the forum was Ok.

While at it we immediately upgraded to SMF2.1.1...

@jacky have fun with all the new features...  ;)

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: @rjen on March 11, 2022, 12:09:47 PMtogether we ran repair_settings

wow, it took the 2 of you to do that  :P (jk)

Seriously, good job on fixing the issue and upgrading to 2.1.1. :)

@rjen

It's not for everyone as easy to run a php script in their server.

It helps if someone can explain in person what it means to run such a script...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Nice! :) I'll mark this solved then.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: @rjen on March 11, 2022, 12:16:29 PMIt's not for everyone as easy to run a php script in their server.

It helps if someone can explain in person what it means to run such a script...

I know, and I was joking, in case it was not clear from the smiley I used and the (jk) acronym/part that went a long with it.

P.s. the way that you posted about it, was like the start of a joke. You know, like the ones that go along the lines of: How many people it takes to ..., run repair_settings.php in this case. It should be entered in the Smf jokes lol :D

Advertisement: