News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

New Boards not viewable except by Admins

Started by NancyMB, October 13, 2022, 03:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NancyMB

We are running SMF2.1.2 and most everything has been fine since that update (can't see user avatars, though).

Yesterday one of the Admins set up a new Board, with the same permissions for users as all earlier Boards. No one can see it except the Admins (if I log out of the forum, I cannot see it until I log back in as an admin)

A similar Board has also "disappeared" from view, but everything else seems to be viewable.

For example, this Board has over 1000 posts in it:
https://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?board=128.0 [nofollow]

and the latest post was made in this topic within the Board on October 11: https://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1958.0 [nofollow]

Users cannot see either of the above.

Might this be related to a recent Windows update?

Thanks for any help.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: NancyMB on October 13, 2022, 03:48:42 PMWe are running SMF2.1.2 and most everything has been fine since that update (can't see user avatars, though).

What version did you upgrade from? An upgrade should not cause any permission issues. What mods do you have installed? Are there any error messages logged in either the forum or server error log?

Quote from: NancyMB on October 13, 2022, 03:48:42 PMand the latest post was made in this topic within the Board on October 11: hxxp:www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1958.0 [nonactive]

Users cannot see either of the above.

It displays fine to me.

Kindred

I can see that board and topic just fine both by direct link and on your forum index
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Julius_2000

Quote from: NancyMB on October 13, 2022, 03:48:42 PMUsers cannot see either of the above.

Try this: Go to Admin/Forum/Boards and Categories/Modify Boards

Click on Modify the specific boards that aren't visible and just press "modify" again to save its settings (double check its permissions just in case).

I have the same issue with new boards not showing for guests, even though in the settings it is check-marked for everyone. When I go back and just hit modify, it reappears. Maybe this is a bug in 2.1.2?

NancyMB

Julius,  Thank you for your reply  :)  - that appears to have have solved the problem.

Doug Heffernan and Kindred, The links I gave were to the older board/topic that were not visible to anyone, but when I looked again, they were (visible).  After I tried Julius' suggestion, the new Board/topic was visible as well (at least to me if not logged in, will have to check with others).

Doug, we upgraded from 2.0.18. The problem is not with permissions. I posted about it here (Still not fixed although I tried the suggestions). https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=583666.0

Julius_2000

My pleasure.
One more tip for you & your users: Delete your browser history too, primarily cookies and cache because they might prevent seeing any changes if not cleared.

NancyMB

One last comment:

Quote from: Kindred on October 13, 2022, 05:46:45 PMI can see that board and topic just fine both by direct link and on your forum index

Apparently, if someone follows a link given to them by an Admin (or someone who can see the new Board/topic), they are able to see the otherwise invisible topic. Otherwise, until I followed Julius' directions (above), it remained 'invisible' - so you could see it by following the link I left here.

Kindred

No, I can see it by going to your forum INDEX page and navigating to it by clicking on the board and then the topic
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Julius_2000

Quote from: Kindred on October 14, 2022, 09:22:57 PMNo, I can see it by going to your forum INDEX page and navigating to it by clicking on the board and then the topic
This is because she's already applied the above fix.

That bug occurs only when you set up a new board. It's not visible to guests until you modify it again, even though the permissions are set and visibly marked. It has happened to me more than once.

Steve

The above isn't a fix, it's a way around the problem.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: