News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Proper permissions on Theme Folders and Files

Started by Vexthem, August 02, 2022, 03:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vexthem

In trying to research my theme related Fatal error, I am looking around and noticed that the Permissions on my ...Themes folders are 705 and the files are 644, with the contents of those folders like Default being 705 & 644 also, but downloaded Themes like GanderGreen2.1.2a being 777 for folders and 666 for files.

I thought almost everything was supposed to be Folder 755 and File 644?

I also see a setting_bak.php elsewhere with 600 Perms - that makes sense to me.  For many other deviations I'm having trouble figuring out what if prudent, safe, and necessary.

Kindred

755 and 644 are the appropriate settings. 705 is a little severe and may cause issues, depending on your other settings.

As for why 777/666... that's often how uploads through the managers end up... just go and recursively set 755/644

It's not normally too much of a worry, because smf is very good about protecting access
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: