News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Several questions from a newbie

Started by 20abc22, December 27, 2022, 01:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

20abc22

Hi everyone,

I've recently created a new forum, and would appreciate it if you could point me in the right directions on the following:

1) I've installed an additional theme and made it a default one on the forum, but when I go into my file directory in cPanel, I don't see the folder with my new theme. I also want to add an image to override the logo for the default theme, but can't figure out in which directory to place it, so that the theme can work with it (the page inside the Admin control function says it should go under the custom theme directory, but I don't see it).

2) Is there a working mod for the newest version of the SMF that can enable links to Facebook, Twitter and Telegram?

3) Which files and where are they located to modify the welcome message that gets automatically sent to users upon registration? I need to make a few adjustments.

4) Can I modify the terms that are automatically provided for users to accept when registering? My forum is in another language, so the privacy policy is not even provided. if the forum has specific rules, can I modify the terms notification to say 'abide by the rules', other than the current 'boilerplate' version? also, where is the file located with the standard terms, so that I could find and modify it?

Thanks so much!

Diego Andrés

1- You could try asking for help in the support topic for that specific theme you downloaded. The theme folder should exist if the theme is indeed installed like you say, should be inside the Themes folder with a name somewhat similar to whatever it's named. Additionally, sometimes themes include settings to setup logo and other things, try checking in Admin > Forum config > Theme Settings.

2- I don't recall anything, did you search in the modsite already? Perhaps in the Tips and Tricks board you might find something useful too, but you'd have to add it manually if that's the case.

3- Depends which type of registration you have set. For immediate, it should be this string $txt[' register_immediate_body '] in Themes/default/languages/EmailsTemplate.english.php

4- You should be able to change them in the registration settings in Admin > Members > Registration > Registration Agreement, and Admin > Members > Registration > Privacy Policy

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Kindred

Note:   If you just installed the forum and are just starting, then you should use SMF 2.1.3 - not the 2.0.x branch.   2.0.x is ramping down and will soon be end-of-life.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on December 27, 2022, 10:48:04 AMNote:   If you just installed the forum and are just starting, then you should use SMF 2.1.3 - not the 2.0.x branch.   2.0.x is ramping down and will soon be end-of-life.

Before I even saw your reply, I realized I must have posted in the wrong forum. Thanks for pointing this out!

Apologies to everyone.

20abc22

Thanks for moving my topic to the right forum, Kindred!

I have a dumb question - to access code (e.g., for updating an element of a theme), do I go through the CPanel, or can I do it through the Admin panel on the forum.

Is there a part of an online manual that step-by-step describes the process for total newbies how to modify code?

Thank you.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: 20abc22 on December 27, 2022, 04:13:05 PMI have a dumb question

There are no dumb questions imo. No one is born with knowledge.

Quote from: 20abc22 on December 27, 2022, 04:13:05 PMto access code (e.g., for updating an element of a theme), do I go through the CPanel, or can I do it through the Admin panel on the forum.

You can make edits to a file through the File Manager section located in the cPanel, or you can use a php editor for that. Personally I would recommend doing it this way, through an editor. Notepad++ is a free editor program and it is very good too.

Quote from: 20abc22 on December 27, 2022, 04:13:05 PMIs there a part of an online manual that step-by-step describes the process for total newbies how to modify code?

All you have to do is open up the file that you want to modify and apply your edits. Most programs have a search and find section that will make it easier to find the relevant code. That 's pretty much it.

Illori

dont forget to do a backup before you edit any files.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Illori on December 27, 2022, 04:45:54 PMdont forget to do a backup before you edit any files.

Good point Illori.

Notepad++ does have an auto backup option that will make a backup of any files prior to editing. It is a very useful feature.

20abc22

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on December 27, 2022, 04:42:15 PMAll you have to do is open up the file that you want to modify and apply your edits. Most programs have a search and find section that will make it easier to find the relevant code. That 's pretty much it.

Thanks a lot! This community is so amazing and so patient with ppl like me :) Will go and check it out.

20abc22

Quote from: Illori on December 27, 2022, 04:45:54 PMdont forget to do a backup before you edit any files.

Thanks! That's another thing I need to learn and pronto.

20abc22

OK, I have found an answer to my question 1 - perhaps, someone else may find it of use.

The active Themes folder with a few that I have installed is located under Public_html/forum. I created a folder 'Forum' manually, but when I run the autoinstaller, it must have created another 'forum' folder under Public__html.

20abc22

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on December 27, 2022, 04:51:34 PM

Good point Illori.

Notepad++ does have an auto backup option that will make a backup of any files prior to editing. It is a very useful feature.

I've created a backup and downloaded it to my computer, and installed the Notepad++. Now, how do I get to use Notepad++ on the index.css file which I see in cPanel File Editor? Do I download it to my computer to make edits and then overwrite the original file?

Tried it and it worked :)

Thanks!

Doug Heffernan

Glad to see that it worked for you.

20abc22

Hi everyone,

I am excited to report that my forum is up and running and I already have a few users that registered, and quite a few reviews/visits!

I've learned quite a bit too during this time.

Having said that, I have one major issue - please advise what I should check out in terms of getting it sorted out.

The problem is that some users cannot complete the registration process, because they never get registration emails from the forum. It's like their email providers reject them. It is happening with GMail specifically.

I have opened a ticket with my hosting provider, but is there something I should be doing on my side?

As well, can someone please let me know how I can display the ban list to the users (perhaps, in the admin section of the forum). I can't seem to find this option in the settings.

Thank you!

Kindred

There is No way to display the ban list to users.  That is an admin only function
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oldiesmann

As for the email thing, tell your users to check their spam folder, and consider changing to SMTP instead of PHP (Admin -> Maintenance -> Mail - the values to use for server, username, password, etc. will vary depending on your situation)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

20abc22

Quote from: Kindred on January 03, 2023, 12:15:13 AMThere is No way to display the ban list to users.  That is an admin only function

Thanks for the response! Perhaps, I am using the wrong term. On another forum which uses an older version of Simple Machines, as a user I could see a list of banned folks with the explanation for ban. Maybe it is called something else.

Or maybe it was a mod?

20abc22

Quote from: Oldiesmann on January 03, 2023, 12:29:25 AMAs for the email thing, tell your users to check their spam folder, and consider changing to SMTP instead of PHP (Admin -> Maintenance -> Mail - the values to use for server, username, password, etc. will vary depending on your situation)

Thank you for the suggestion re changing the settings. But I know for a fact that some users did everything, checked the spam, and still did not get anything. The funny thing is that I see them in the list of users and even approved them, but they still did not get an email.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: 20abc22 on January 03, 2023, 07:31:08 AMOr maybe it was a mod?

I think that is the case. I think I remember seeing a mod or 2 that do that. Have you checked the Mods Database?

Shades.

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on January 03, 2023, 11:04:48 AMI think that is the case. I think I remember seeing a mod or 2 that do that. Have you checked the Mods Database?
It was probably this one for 2.0. ;)

Maybe @vbgamer45 will update it for 2.1.x if asked when he gets time from all his other projects! O:)  8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Advertisement: