2.0.19 Upgraded to 2.1.3 - Now "Incorrect Password" ???

Started by Simple_Newbie23, February 12, 2023, 03:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simple_Newbie23

Hi Everyone,

After upgrading from SMF 2.0.19 to SMF 2.1.3, I can no longer login - just get "Incorrect Password" error messages.

This is on a locally developed, non-public site so unfortunately I can't share a link to it.

It was originally a MyBB forum that I converted , all usernames and passwords converted successfully to 2.0.19 however after completing the 2.1.3 upgrade wizard it appears it has invalidated all the logins?

Had to do a password reset to get back into my Admin account.

Am hoping there's a solution so that the password reset isn't required as I am hoping to switch the live public version of the site over to SMF once i've completed my testing.

Any ideas? :)

Thanks in advance!

Arantor

Check if there is an entry in the smf_settings table for 'enable_password_conversion'. If there isn't, add one with a value of 1.

Basically, I think what happened is that SMF 2.0 would have just taken all the passwords from MyBB and quietly accepted the changeover (since IIRC they use a different password format) while in 2.1 you need to explicitly enable this behaviour.

Simple_Newbie23

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I just checked and the smf_settings table already contains enable_password_conversion and the value is 1.

The same setting with the same value is present in my database backup that I took when still on 2.0.19

I don't have any other user credential other than my own (which now works because I did a password reset)eto test this so I might have to revert back to my 2.0.19 backup to test anything else.

Converting MyBB to 2.0.19 worked with the password conversion.

It's the SMF upgrade from 2.0.19 to 2.1.3 that's causing the issue

Any other suggestions?

Arantor

Hmm, this is a weird one. I've been back over the upgrader and it shouldn't cause this to break.

Are the passwords still in the same format (for the other accounts) after the upgrade in your setup?

Simple_Newbie23

Hi Arantor,

From some further testing again yesterday with my smaller MyBB sample forum (while I was working a few things out with the converter process I setup a smaller forum as with mine it was taking too long to continuously re-import everything each time)

It appears that only the Admin user is affected by this bug?

Normal users can login in OK

1. Setup a new blank test of SMF 2.0.19

2. Ran the converter, using MyBB sample data and selecting UTF-8 format. Made a note of the password hash value from the database for Admin user.

3. Got message on first login - "Password security has recently been upgraded. Please enter your password again."

4. After logging in again successfully, password hash in database for this account was updated to a new value.

5. Checked that "enable_password_conversion" in smf_settings was set to 1 - It was

6. Ran the SMF 2.1.3 Upgrade

7. After completion, password hash for the Admin user in the database is unchanged but I get "Password incorrect" and cannot login. Non-Admin user can login fine.

DeadMan...

Did you use the password from the fresh install?
Sometimes on conversions like that, it'll mix up the new site's password with the old site's.
I've had that happen, and had to do a password reset.
I tell it how I see it... Don't like it? Hit Alt+F4!

Simple_Newbie23

Quote from: DeadMan... on February 13, 2023, 04:23:05 PMDid you use the password from the fresh install?
Sometimes on conversions like that, it'll mix up the new site's password with the old site's.
I've had that happen, and had to do a password reset.

Not sure if I fully understand ...

I made an Admin account on the fresh 2.0.19 install. This username doesnt exist in the converted data.

I then ran the conversion from MyBB.

The MyBB Admin username and password works successfully after the conversion completed in SMF 2.0.19

When I then upgrade SMF to 2.1.3 , the upgrade is successful and the database password hash remains the same for this account, but this same username and password combination that previously worked now gives "Password is incorrect"

As far as I can tell however it's only the Admin account it does this with, a regular user account logs in OK using the same username and password from MyBB, under both SMF 2.0.19 and after the upgrade to 2.1.3

Simple_Newbie23

If this can be further narrowed down to only affecting Admin users needing a one time password reset then I can probably work around it, so long as every user won't need to do a password reset as it's a very large forum

Arantor

Hhmmm, interesting. The only thing I can think of is that you were logged in at the time of doing the upgrade and the upgrader does... some special things attached to the admin user logged in at the time.

But yeah, for regular accounts it seems to be fine - and I can't reproduce anything weird for non admin accounts either, but I'm also not going to have time to dig in properly as to find the root cause.

Simple_Newbie23

Quote from: Arantor on February 13, 2023, 05:06:23 PMHhmmm, interesting. The only thing I can think of is that you were logged in at the time of doing the upgrade and the upgrader does... some special things attached to the admin user logged in at the time.

But yeah, for regular accounts it seems to be fine - and I can't reproduce anything weird for non admin accounts either, but I'm also not going to have time to dig in properly as to find the root cause.

I greatly appreciate your time and prompt responses!

I might have another go later ... (This is a local development so super easy to start again and reconfigure with my sample data, takes hardly any time)

I'll try logging out before doing the upgrade

Advertisement: