SVG attachments show as images, not links

Started by brynn, February 23, 2023, 09:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
Some few years ago, I had a website using an SMF portal/forum, which was a support site for Inkscape, the open source vector graphics editor.  It creates and edits SVG files.

I used the SVG as Attachments mod by dougiefresh.  It worked great for displaying attached SVG files as images! Without this mod, the SVG attachment consists of a link, not an image.

But that site died. Now I'm helping with another SMF forum which will again provide support for Inkscape.  But it seems that the SVG as Attachments mod is out of date.  We cannot get it installed.

I've been getting help in that mod's support topic https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=544018.0  But it looks like the author has not been around for over 3 years (at least has not posted any messages)

So below is my request:

I think this kind of mod has....well, at least somewhat universal need. SVG is used more and more these days, in various ways and places.  At this time, I want to find out if someone would be willing to offer it for free.  If there is no interest after some time, we might be willing to make it a paid mod.  And I mean pay a fee to purchase such a mod.  I don't mean that we could pay the developer for the job of writing and updating it.

Version:
We're using SMF version 2.1.3, and would like a mod which is updated, as needed to continue working with future new versions.

Description
Currently, if an SVG file has already been uploaded to the internet, you can insert/embed it in a message, and the image is displayed in the message. But if you attach an SVG file to a message, it shows up as a link, not an image. If you click the link, it offers to download or save the file. 

We want to display the beautiful SVG images which our members will make with Inkscape. Or maybe their work in progress files, if they need help with something. Or if they just want comments about their artwork. They should be displayed at their full size (which could be anything from a tiny favicon to something that will display on these giant screens which so many people are getting these days) unless they hit the maximum size in Attachment Settings. Then they respect the setting sizes.

Note regarding the thumbnail option for attachments:
For the potential developer, we have noticed that in other programs, for example Piwigo or Coppermine galleries, those developers either don't know how, or or maybe it's just too hard to do, to show thumbnails for SVG images.  They can display the full size SVG files as images, but for some reaons, they don't make thumbnails.  (They only show placeholder images for thumbnails.) We don't really know why.

(Actually it seems odd to me that they don't offer thumbnails, because of course the vector images can be scaled or zoomed without distortion.) But anyway, based on that experience, we're not sure if we can expect SVG thumbnails with this mod. It would be a bonus if there were some way to do it - or maybe use PNGs as thumbnails - maybe a pro version???  But the thumbnail part might not be a requirement.

To me, the option to insert the attachment image in the message is a new feature.  We would want the attached SVG image to be displayed in the message, if the user chooses to use that option. Again, just like any other image attachment.

I don't know of any examples of this kind of mod.  I don't get around to other forums as much as I used to.

Permissions
The Permission settings for this mod would be the same as any other image attachment, including the thumbnail options (if the mod ends up making thumbs).  This mod is just to treat the SVG file as any other image file. I guess it should use all the same permissions as other image attachments.

For us, the ability to see the SVG image is intended for every member equally across the board. It would not be connected with permissions, except as any other image attachment. If moderation needs to be mentioned, these would be moderated like any other image attachment.

I supppose it's possible that the admin of some other forum might like to make the ability to see the SVG images connected with post counts or user groups or boards. A potential developer might think about that and might want to make it possible.  But for us, we want this for all members, everywhere, all the time, without qualifications.

Feature Set
I'm not sure if we have any special features to request. If the potential new developer has ideas to discuss, we certainly would be interested to.  But really, we just want the SVG file handled like any other image file (JPG, PNG, etc.) as attachments.

Ok, I hope I gave you enough info, to understand what we're asking for.  To me, it seems like a relatively simple mod. Please let me know if you need more info.

Thank you very much for reading all this!

All best,
brynn

brynn

Hi again!
I just wanted to post a quick message, to say that we have been provided with a solution, so that someone else does not spend a lot of time on this.

Many, many, many THANKS  :laugh:

To  -Rock Lee- !!!

Advertisement: