Slow Login and Logout using Internet Explorer - not Firefox

Started by MarkHofmann, November 28, 2005, 03:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkHofmann

I know that this has been brought up on the forums before, and have read just about every post concerning this.  I am experiencing slow login / logout with SMF 1.1RC1 (latest MySql and PHP) running Xitami webserver. 

One recommendation was to change the config of your PHP to not use CGI - but unfortunately that is the only way that PHP support is available under Xitami.

Is there any other way I can get around this issue?  The slowness is only when users login / logout, no other places that I'm aware of - and only when using Internet Explorer.  Firefox works super fast.

Feel free to obtain an account and see - hxxp:www.weather-station.org/forums [nonactive]

Thanks for all suggestions in advance!

- Mark

Oldiesmann

Your site is being slow for me no matter what I do when I visit your board. Is there any particular reason you're running Xitami as opposed to Apache?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

MarkHofmann

I'm running on a Windows 2000 server and Xitami.  I have been running Xitami for around 5-6 years now - and could change, but that would involve a good deal of work to reconfigure all the virtual hosts and things I have setup on my current setup. 

I think the slowness you saw was related to my 768k upload speed - and others might have been viewing my weather webcam or something at the time.  Locally accessing it, or under light use, the delay is only when you login and logout.  It just takes a up to around 50 seconds under Internet Explorer - but with Firefox, it logs right in and out with no delay.  It is very strange.  I did see other posts on here with others seeing the same results. 

- Mark

Fizzy

Something to try......

Try removing the quote characters from your forum name

"

Those two characters are trashing your XHTML. Just use Weather Station - Communication Forums
See if that makes a difference :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

MarkHofmann

Thanks for the suggestion, but the name used to be just Weather Station (with no "'s).  Someone had posted something about the fact that Internet Explorer doesn't display pages the same way that Firefox does.  I just wish I knew the difference - and maybe could add a work around so that IE wouldn't seem so slow on my server. 

I'm going to try and install that e-accelerator program and see if that makes a difference.

- Mark

Fizzy

Well that's up to you, but if you just click on the XHTML validation button at the bottom of your forum you will see for yourself just how many errors there are on your page thanks to the extra " characters you have inserted. Don't forget that in HTML the quote character is part of the language - that's why you are supposed to use " to represent a quotation mark.
The simple reason that IE is slower than FF is that FF handles errors much better than IE does. It's your choice if you want to correct the errors or not but I doubt that e-accelerator wil help you, not when the underlying code is still at fault.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Advertisement: