News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to set up error log notifications ?

Started by Zatalyz, March 20, 2023, 05:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zatalyz

Hello,
When we are an admin, the forum displays a notification if the error log has hits. It's pretty good during debugging time: it allowed me to immediately see problems when I changed things in the theme.

But some errors are more like warnings, and I'd prefer not to be notified of them every time in this rather intrusive way. In particular, many of my users make mistakes in their passwords, so I get a notification every time about a wrong password; if it was on the fourth attempt, signalling a potential attack, okay, but it's human to get it wrong once or twice. Too human, in fact, because every time I go to my forum I empty this log (and I should point out that it's the legitimate users who get it wrong every time). It's become so automatic that the day a bot tries to connect, I might not pay attention...

Anyway: is there a way to set up these error notifications, so that you only get what you think is relevant?

Edit : my forum is on 2.1.3 :)

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Zatalyz on March 20, 2023, 05:27:33 AMAnyway: is there a way to set up these error notifications, so that you only get what you think is relevant?

Not out of the box. You will need a custom mod for that.

Steve

Couldn't you go to Admin -> Maintenance -> Error Log -> Log Settings tab and disable either or both these two settings:

Enable reporting of non-activated account log-in attempts
Enable reporting of failed password log-in attempts

?

That would not report repeated password attempts though, right?

@Zatalyz - to control the number of attempts before reporting an error would indeed require a mod, as Doug said.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Zatalyz

Quote from: SteveEnable reporting of non-activated account log-in attempts
Enable reporting of failed password log-in attempts

I don't see this option... Maybe "Enable error logging" ? But it seem to be more generalist.

I join screenshot of this windows. Either I'm not awake, or maybe with another name  :-[

But as I understand it, it's either no logs at all, or lots of noise, unless I create a plugin?

Steve

Let me check if I have a mod installed that changes this.

Edit: apparently I do. I can't find it at the mod site though. My apologies.

Shades.

Quote from: Steve on March 20, 2023, 08:59:03 AMLet me check if I have a mod installed that changes this.
There's a mod called Error Log Control over at webdev @Chen Zhen  ;)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Steve

Ah, that's it! Thanks @Shades.! The direct link is here.

Arantor

And if someone's account is being hacked, now you won't know :(

Advertisement: