News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Incorrect representation in SMF 2.1.4

Started by peter_mein, June 10, 2023, 04:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb61

Quote from: m4z on June 11, 2023, 01:08:00 PM
Quote from: shawnb61 on June 11, 2023, 11:50:44 AMMy suggestion is to shorten the translated strings...

That isn't really possible. I have unified and shortened both to "Höhe/Breite eingeben (px):", which could be considered a bit rude in formal German, but I don't see a way to shorten them more (unless I remove the verb completely).

Yes, I'd remove the verb completely.  As long as the intent is clear, e.g., width/height.

BTW, I don't think that's a verb. I do not read it as "insert" as in "provide", a verb.  I read it as "insert" as in "inserted image", a noun. 

It's not a sentence, it's a simple label.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

peter_mein

Thanks for your answer and help.
I have now also found why it would not work in my main forum.
I installed a mod that installs font inter. See link: https://rsms.me/inter/
If I disable the mod then everything works as it should.
Does anyone know what mod that was?
Is this a problem of SMF or of the mod?
If not SMF I will ask the mod creator.

Thanks for all your helps.

m4z

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 11, 2023, 01:54:24 PMBTW, I don't think that's a verb. I do not read it as "insert" as in "provide", a verb.  I read it as "insert" as in "inserted image", a noun.

Thanks for pointing that out. Most of the options of what "insert" (noun) translates to are only used in very specific fields like mechanical engineering and would be ambiguous (is it describing the dimension of the thing, or the location within the page where the thing goes, for example), so I didn't consider that.

Maybe I could go with "display height/width", but then that is ambiguous with regards to real resizing vs. keeping a large image and just displaying it smaller.

Translating as "Height/Width the image should be displayed in/resized to" isn't much more precise, but a lot more unwieldy. So just "Width/Height" it is.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

peter_mein

Another note.
You can specify the maximum width and height of featured images in the configuration of SMF. But this function no longer makes sense because you can enter the values yourself when uploading. Wouldn't it be better if the maximum values also applied to the upload input window?

shawnb61

These are two different sets of parameters.

One allows an admin to set maximums for display across the entire forum.  The other limits the size of the display within the current post, per the user's preference, how it might fit into the composition of a particular post. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Julius_2000

Quote from: m4z on June 11, 2023, 08:10:35 AMI'm beginning to understand the problem. I believe the problem is the length of the translated strings. In both German variants, the button is (almost, in my case) pushed out of the visible area:

Formal German:
You cannot view this attachment.

Informal German:

English:

Another quirky thing I noticed about the new attachment feature, independent of language files: If I drag my image inside the attachment area, but outside of the dashed box, it will open another tab with my local image file.

I can confirm that the "insert" button is not visible/ cut off due to #post_attachments_area #attachment_previews not adjusting to height. I need to set a min-height of about 180px for it to see the button. A z-index also didn't help.

I believe the issue was not present for the beta5 version of 2.1.4

shawnb61

There were 0 changes from beta5.

What theme are you using?  It's possible a .css tweak needs to be applied.  In particular, this is the tweak that addressed the minimum height issue:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF/pull/7735

Julius_2000

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 11, 2023, 05:29:30 PMThere were 0 changes from beta5.
Maybe it was beta4 then, at least I did not have issues then, as far as I can remember.

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 11, 2023, 05:29:30 PMWhat theme are you using?  It's possible a .css tweak needs to be applied.  In particular, this is the tweak that addressed the minimum height issue:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF/pull/7735
I use a customized Pelikan Theme. Is there a way to make the the preview field adjustable to the height of the Insert window? All my attempts have failed so far.

shawnb61

The issue was addressed in beta4.  It was present in 3 & prior.

It's possible some themes may need to be tweaked.  Best check in the theme support thread.

It might be something as simple as your zoom level...

Julius_2000

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 11, 2023, 05:43:41 PMThe issue was addressed in beta4.  It was present in 3 & prior.

It's possible some themes may need to be tweaked.  Best check in the theme support thread.
I had no issues with my custom theme using beta4/5. It's only now with the official version.

shawnb61

Julius_2000

Is there no way of letting the Insert menu (.attach-ui roundframe) define the height of the preview (.attachment_preview_wrapper)?

Sesquipedalian

I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: