News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Moved topic auto-redirect.

Started by SulevFan, September 24, 2023, 11:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SulevFan

I wanted to remove an inappropriate topic from public view but leave it up for management to review. Inadvertently I forgot to unclick the "auto-redirect" checkbox before moving the topic to a different board, and now I can't get in to that topic to remove the redirect. Can  I somehow fix this? The hassle is every member no tried to click this gets an error message since they don't have the auth to see the target board.

TIA.

Steve

Why can't you get into the original board? Are you not the admin?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

enable checkboxes or quick moderation and use that to delete the redirect. there is no way to enter into the redirect topic.

SulevFan

Quote from: Steve on September 24, 2023, 02:03:22 PMWhy can't you get into the original board? Are you not the admin?

Yes, I'm admin, but I couldn't find the way to "get into the original board".

And:
Quote from: Illori on September 24, 2023, 02:22:00 PMenable checkboxes or quick moderation and use that to delete the redirect. there is no way to enter into the redirect topic.

Makes me think there isn't any.

Oh well, thanks. both.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: SulevFan on September 24, 2023, 08:38:25 PMYes, I'm admin, but I couldn't find the way to "get into the original board".
I'm still a little confused here. Are you saying you can't get into the board the redirect topic is in or you can't get into the redirect topic itself?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

believe they are saying that they can't get into the "redirect" to delete the redirect (because clicking the redirect takes you directly to the new location)

To which we have responded:  Turn on checkboxes for moderation and use that to delete the redirect message from the board message list.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SulevFan

Even I am now confused. I see that in my first response, I said "board" when I meant "topic" - which in fact should, for completeness and clarity probably have said "the redirect notification topic"?

I know how to fix my error in a roundabout way, by deleting the erroneous topic, moving the post bac, and then again moving it, this time sans the redirect checkmark. I was just wondering if there was a more elegant way to achieve same.

Again, thanks and apologies for causing confusion by not taking care to read with comprehension what I'm posting and asking.

Kindred

Yes. We told you how... multiple times...

To which we have responded:  Turn on checkboxes for moderation and use that to delete the redirect message from the board message list.
Слaва
Украинi

sudoku

Create a link to remove any topic by right clicking the button to remove the topic. But don't remove that topic, only use the url from it.

Then get the topic ID number from the redirect topic that you want to remove.
Paste that topic ID into the link that you created in the first step. Do not remove the session ID when doing this.

Once finished that newly created link should remove the redirection topic.  ;D
Of course you must have the proper permission to remove it, or it won't work.
I inadvertently had a similar situation after our forums SMF upgrade.

Sesquipedalian

It would be a lot easier, @zedd151, to simply turn on the Quick Moderation checkboxes in the Look & Layout section of your profile, so that you can use the nice, straightforward UI that SMF provides for this job.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

sudoku

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on September 26, 2023, 06:37:08 PMIt would be a lot easier, @zedd151, to simply turn on the Quick Moderation checkboxes in the Look & Layout section of your profile, so that you can use the nice, straightforward UI that SMF provides for this job.
Okay, I'll try that if the need ever comes up again. At the time I used that'workaround', we had just upgraded the forum, and were yet unfamiliar with the checkboxes mentioned. Also, I was a new staff member as well at that time, which added to my unfamiliarity and lack of knowledge.  :)   At the time, it was a quick and easy solution to the issue.

Sesquipedalian

No worries. It sounds like you figured out a clever solution to your problem when you were still learning about a new and unfamiliar system. Well done. I'm simply trying to make life easier for you in the future.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

sudoku

Thanks. The admin there thought my fix was rather clever. He is also new to SMF software, but learning.

Advertisement: