time setting help

Started by Painso, September 29, 2023, 01:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painso

Hello.

Can someone help me?

I can't set the time on my forum.
I change the time zone but the time always stays the same.
There is no travel option.

Does anyone know what I can do to change the time zone?

Kindred

SPLIT /

Please do not resurrect ancient posts (which were already solved). Open your own topic.

Set the timezone on your server. Check with your host on how to do this.

For setting in SMF -- what version are you using?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Painso

Hello.

Can someone help me?

I can't set the time on my forum.
I change the time zone but the time always stays the same.
There is no travel option.

Does anyone know what I can do to change the time zone?

Version - SMF 2.1.4 © 2023, Simple Machines

Sesquipedalian

The date and time that you personally see on your forum is controlled by the time zone that you have selected in the Look & Layout section of your own user profile.

If you have travelled to a different time zone, update your selected time zone in your user profile to match your new location. When you return to your home, you can change your selected time zone back to what it was before.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Kindred

Sesq....   there is no timezome setting in 2.0 -- only a time offset
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on September 29, 2023, 03:48:08 PMSesq....   there is no timezome setting in 2.0 -- only a time offset
the user says they are using SMF 2.1.4.

Painso

there is no option only a time offset

what can I do?

Kindred

If it says time offset, then you are not running 2.1.x... as mentioned,  2.1.x has timezone , 2.0.x has time offset.

In which case, you can set the offset as compared between the server setting and your personal time

But why are you asking about smf settings in server configuration? Since you asked here, I assumed that you were asking how to set the timezone on your server
Слaва
Украинi

Painso

I asked here because I don't know if it's in the smf or in the server that I have to change the time.
Yes, the version is 2.1.4 and the time offset, does not appear.
So I don't know what I have to do to set the smf time

Kindred

Smf time defaults to tge server time.
You can change the timezone for the entire forum in the admin server settings tab.

You can change the timezone for your individual account in your profile,  look and layout tab

If your site is really 2.1.4 and it says time offset instead of timezone,  then you have something badly misconfigured.
Слaва
Украинi

Painso

There is the option to choose the time zone of several countries but the time always remains the same....
Yes, the version is 2.1.4 and there is no time offset option!
You only have the option of choosing the time zone and changing the start time.

Painso

I've already managed to change the time.
Thanks

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

For everything to work correctly and for you to be able to actually evaluate this,
the most important thing to remember is that you need to configure everything twice to begin.

First the forum admin settings Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> General: Forum default timezone,
and second in your Profile -> Forum profile -> Look and layout: Time zone
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

durangod

If you want to set the timezone for the domain then in the root of the domain edit your php.ini file if you have one.. If you dont have one then make one or change the main php.ini file on the server.

Anyway add this to that file..  Choose your own local timezone (not mine) from the link shown. Dont remove the ; youll get a server error, those lines are commented out with the ;

; Please change this to your timezone
; supported timezones are here
; https://www.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php
; Defines the default timezone used by the date functions
; http://php.net/date.timezone
date.timezone = America/Chicago

My name is short for durango dave (i am not a god lol)

Sesquipedalian

Your suggestion would change PHP's default time zone. But it is irrelevant for controlling SMF's time zone settings. SMF discards and replaces the PHP default with its own saved settings.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

durangod

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on December 21, 2023, 02:18:22 AMYour suggestion would change PHP's default time zone. But it is irrelevant for controlling SMF's time zone settings. SMF discards and replaces the PHP default with its own saved settings.

Good to know, thanks :)  I was trying to make a point that it was a wide coverage but yeah i should have added the disclaimer that not all of them play buy the robot file rules.  Thanks for catching that...  :)
My name is short for durango dave (i am not a god lol)

Advertisement: