How do I easily set up a SMF Forum on a website?

Started by Trenchcoat, November 30, 2023, 01:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trenchcoat

Ok, assuming this is near enough the right section for this.

So I am currently trying to set up a Simple Machines Forum on OOOwebhost

I have downloaded SMF files onto my Computer and have both it as Zip file and unpacked files. I have transferred them to 000webhost under the public folder. I can't seem to make any headway from there in terms of getting SMF installed on the website.

I am using old You Tube videos to assist so they aren't up to date with the current way the 000webhost sure is exactly.

So does anyone know what to do or can suggest another way that is easy to set up a SMF Forum website?

As you can probably tell I am not that up on technical stuff when it comes to this sort of thing, apologies in advance on that, but it means I really need a straight forward relatively simple way of doing this.

Diego Andrés

Did you check the manual? https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

From what you describe, you'll probably want to create your database next, and then proceed to run the install.php file.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Trenchcoat

Quote from: Diego Andrés on November 30, 2023, 02:25:15 AMDid you check the manual? https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

From what you describe, you'll probably want to create your database next, and then proceed to run the install.php file.

Yeah I've done that now from the 000webhost website, turns out they had an control panel button option their that clicks through to doing one. Mine is kind of brief, I could only generally find You Tube videos online that told you to input, Users, ID, Password and Date fields into it.

However, not really any joy after doing that. I installed the SMF software into the right folder 'public' but no obvious way to proceed.

It would kind of be handy to have a blow by blow video of how to go about creating a SMF website I feel or at least a more detailed description of what I need to do as I don't have any background in using PHP, etc.

As an example I am trying to create a website a little like this one, obviously on a different subject, topics, etc but much the same format:

hxxp:ruadventures.com/forum/index.php [nonactive]

I don't know how detailed the database needs to be beyond what I have input probably more detailed would be my guess. But in any case I just can't seem to get it to work, not through the 000webhost site so far at least.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Trenchcoat on December 12, 2023, 01:54:18 AMIt would kind of be handy to have a blow by blow video of how to go about creating a SMF website I feel or at least a more detailed description of what I need to do as I don't have any background in using PHP, etc.

The link provided above by Diego provides a very detailed guide on how to install smf. What part of the installation process are you having problems with?

Quote from: Trenchcoat on December 12, 2023, 01:54:18 AMAs an example I am trying to create a website a little like this one, obviously on a different subject, topics, etc but much the same format:

If you want your forum to have a particular look, you will need a custom theme.

Quote from: Trenchcoat on December 12, 2023, 01:54:18 AMI don't know how detailed the database needs to be beyond what I have input probably more detailed would be my guess. But in any case I just can't seem to get it to work, not through the 000webhost site so far at least.

Not sure what you mean by this, but if it is about the install, make sure that the database user has full permissions to the database that he is assigned to and enter the database info correctly when the installer will ask for them.

Trenchcoat

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on December 12, 2023, 10:16:40 AM
Quote from: Trenchcoat on December 12, 2023, 01:54:18 AMIt would kind of be handy to have a blow by blow video of how to go about creating a SMF website I feel or at least a more detailed description of what I need to do as I don't have any background in using PHP, etc.

The link provided above by Diego provides a very detailed guide on how to install smf. What part of the installation process are you having problems with?

Quote from: Trenchcoat on December 12, 2023, 01:54:18 AMAs an example I am trying to create a website a little like this one, obviously on a different subject, topics, etc but much the same format:

If you want your forum to have a particular look, you will need a custom theme.

Quote from: Trenchcoat on December 12, 2023, 01:54:18 AMI don't know how detailed the database needs to be beyond what I have input probably more detailed would be my guess. But in any case I just can't seem to get it to work, not through the 000webhost site so far at least.

Not sure what you mean by this, but if it is about the install, make sure that the database user has full permissions to the database that he is assigned to and enter the database info correctly when the installer will ask for them.

I've looked through the guide there's just a brief paragraph on each section. I know about the themes I'm not too bothered about the theme, the standard default theme will probably do for me. I meant more the setup of the webpage. What would be needed to be input into a database for such a website forum.

I've installed the SMF files under the 'public' folder as I am apparently supposed to. However when I click on 'install php' I just get up a notepad with a lot of stuff written on it and nothing else. The install process does not appear to be activated. Neither does there seem to be an option too.

Diego Andrés

You need to execute the 'install.php' file from the browser, not open it.
{website_url}/install.php

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Kindred

If you are getting the install file opened instead of RUN on your webserver, then you don't have php installed.  Talk to your webhost
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Trenchcoat

Quote from: Diego Andrés on December 13, 2023, 01:06:00 AMYou need to execute the 'install.php' file from the browser, not open it.
{website_url}/install.php

I think this is what is needed, the install.php file is there.

However, when I try to add this on the end as you suggest I get a 404 error come up. It should work and be the right address. I've tried altering the address and altering the file locations from being put inside & outside the public folder but no joy, I still just get the 404 error.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

First easy step to check, if you create a test.txt file in that same folder, can you reach it through the same address you are using? If yes, then the location is right but something is blocking the install -file. If no, then you are not in the right folder or your url points somewhere else.
Worth noting is, that free hosts often have different limitations on what you are actually able to do with them, and it's possible you need to talk to your host directly.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: