Drafts not auto-saving v 2.1.4 new upgrade

Started by Chalky, April 14, 2024, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

I've just found out how to turn on the drafts function and make it available to everybody and it's working well, as long as I keep pressing the "save draft" button.  However I can't figure out how the autosave is supposed to work as it isn't autosaving. I have the autosave option checked in admin with frequency set to 30 seconds. I've also tried 60 seconds in case I was being too greedy, but no changes are saved unless the "save draft" button is pressed.

I upgraded yesterday from 2.0.15, default theme, only mods installed are FancyBox 4 SMF, Unapproved Attachments, Posts and Topics in Mod, Happy Birthday, Simple Audio Video Embedder and Snowflakes, which isn't currently enabled. I've removed as much debris as I can from the old 2.0 install.

https://chalkcat.com Test account:  milo  password: testing. He already has a draft saved.

Steve

Quote from: Chalky on April 14, 2024, 12:51:08 PMI upgraded yesterday from 2.0.15,
Huh?

I didn't get an auto-saved draft either. At least there was no indication of one and no location. In fact, with apologies to @Chalky, I don't understand anything about the way it saves drafts. Will have to learn more about it myself.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Chalky

Quote from: Steve on April 14, 2024, 07:36:52 PM
Quote from: Chalky on April 14, 2024, 12:51:08 PMI upgraded yesterday from 2.0.15,
Huh?

I didn't get an auto-saved draft either. At least there was no indication of one and no location. In fact, with apologies to @Chalky, I don't understand anything about the way it saves drafts. Will have to learn more about it myself.

Thanks for looking, it's a puzzle, isn't it? Yes, I did a long-overdue major upgrade as my 2.0.15 forum broke when the PHP version was updated. I've done my best to clear up all debris from the old version, which had around 120 mods, but I wanted to make it clear that we're not dealing with a clean 2.1 install.

Chalky

I've found the beggar!!!!  There's a option in the theme itself "Enable automatic saving of drafts" that I hadn't seen before, and which wasn't checked.  I've got drafts autosaving for me now, just got to get them working for everybody else  8)

Edit:  I've changed the member options within the theme to enable autosaving of drafts for everybody and I've checked under "Look and Layout" that Milo now has this option enabled.  But while my own drafts are now happily auto-saving, Milo's still aren't. I can't find anything under permissions that would explain it working for admin but not a member. Any ideas?

Edit 2: I cleared the forum cache and got Milo replying on a different thread - and it worked - once - it autosaved as I was composing the reply.  However I'm now editing the draft and it's not autosaving.  So I think it's working now, just a bit hit and miss for some reason.

Edit 3: Yes that's definitely the situ. As admin, my posts autosave to drafts as I'm typing as well as while I'm editing the draft later. However, my test member Milo only gets his autosaving while he's composing. After he starts editing the saved draft, there are no more autosaves. Strange behaviour!!

Steve

Quote from: Chalky on April 16, 2024, 07:43:55 AMAs admin, my posts autosave to drafts as I'm typing as well as while I'm editing the draft later. However, my test member Milo only gets his autosaving while he's composing. After he starts editing the saved draft, there are no more autosaves. Strange behaviour!!
This may be as designed but I'll tag my boss to find out for sure. @Kindred
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Hmmmmm.... I'll have to test,  but I can't think of any reason why it would act like that
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: