News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Help, files identified as containing malware.

Started by sbartelski, April 17, 2024, 12:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbartelski

Our server provider has identified a couple of files in SMF that appear to contain malware. Below I attach images of the top of those files. Is this actually malware or is this standard content for these two files? If corrupted, where can I get clean versions (v2.1.4)?

They are both in the avatars folder and are called avatars.php and votes.php

You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.
Stefan Bartelski
Webmaster for the Cadillac LaSalle Discussion forums

sbartelski

Good news, I found an old version of our forums on a different server and both those files are empty. So I will clear out this malware.
Stefan Bartelski

Kindred

Not smf files.

So, the question is, how did they get there.

I would recommend a complete replacement of all files in all directories.

Do you only run smf on that site?

If so, then delete all files except Settings.php and all directories except the avatars and attachments
(Look closely in those directories for any files except .dat or index.php)
Then load a clean set of files and Reload custom themes and mods.

Also. Start checking with your host about how those files got there
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doug Heffernan

Also a thorough checkup of the server is in order too imo for any other potential infected file(s).

sbartelski

Thanks, I am hoping that they are the only
Quote from: Kindred on April 17, 2024, 12:55:53 PMNot smf files.

So, the question is, how did they get there.

I would recommend a complete replacement of all files in all directories.

Do you only run smf on that site?

If so, then delete all files except Settings.php and all directories except the avatars and attachments
(Look closely in those directories for any files except .dat or index.php)
Then load a clean set of files and Reload custom themes and mods.

Also. Start checking with your host about how those files got there

In answer to your questions & comments
1) If not SMF files, why do I see empty files with the same name in an old (Feb 2024) version of the forums
2) Yes, SMF is the only thing running on this server (shared server)
3) They were discovered by a deep scan of the site by our provider, after I signed up for their protection service. Nothing else was found here, so I am hoping that the files are OK.
4) On the line with the host support desk now to find out how the files got corrupted.

Thanks for the reply, if a rebuild is required, do I just delete everything except the two named files and then re-install with a fresh copy?
Stefan Bartelski

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No idea where the files came from, but that's a very good question.
You can find all SMF files on our Github if you want to check what is supposed to be there, and what they are supposed to contain though, so you can make sure yourself. https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF/tree/release-2.1

What are the 2 files called, and where exactly in the files were they found? EDIT : Sorry, you did mention this but I missed it. Definitely not SMF files, not even compromised SMF files but completely extra.

It wouldn't be the first time if the actual access point was a completely different account on the same shared environment, but at this point I don't want to point any fingers - Better if you work with your host to try and find out what happened.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

sbartelski

The two files were in the avatars folder and called avatars.php and votes.php. As mentioned above, the "old" (Feb2024) copy of our forums on a different server had both files in the folder but they were both empty.

We also had something similar on a different site on the same shared server using Coppermine.

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, sorry I just corrected my post above after I re-read your first post. So, yeah - Definitely not part of SMF, but something extra, that at this point we don't know where they came from.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Copperfield has had alot of know security issues over the years...

But I suspect this files were dropped onto your server a long time ago and recently updated with a payload...   and that implies that you have a script hidden somewhere that let's hackers have access to your system -- and they will probably do it again
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sbartelski

Thanks for bearing with me. I am now skittish about security so was checking the logs. I found a couple of strange (?) entries in the Genetral category. Could these be related?

The file at "/home/dh_p6nj8d/clc-smf-test.dreamhosters.com/Themes/default/scripts/minified_e50ba16bec0f474df1e2a332ee1986a5.js" could not be created. Please make sure the parent directory has the appropriate permissions.

The file at "/home/dh_p6nj8d/clc-smf-test.dreamhosters.com/Themes/default/css/minified_453980f27a263a88ace542e129238578.css" could not be created. Please make sure the parent directory has the appropriate permissions.

Interestingly enough, these entries come from my test forums, a duplicate of the live forums, that I am using to test some chnages that we are going to be making.

Any idea why they would be here and are thye evidence of someone messing around in either of these two forums?

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

Kindred

No, those files are attempting to be created by the forum, as expected... but can not be created because the permissions won't allow it to be created
Слaва
Украинi

sbartelski

Quote from: Kindred on April 18, 2024, 10:11:58 PMNo, those files are attempting to be created by the forum, as expected... but can not be created because the permissions won't allow it to be created

If I change the permissions, will they be created again?

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, unless you change the settings. There is a setting for that.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

sbartelski

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 23, 2024, 03:35:29 PMYes, unless you change the settings. There is a setting for that.

So do I need them? Which setting, please?

TIA

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, they are designed to make your site load a little lighter, a little faster, but you don't really need them - so if you want, you can try turning them off
Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> General -> Minimize CSS and JavaScript files.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: