News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Convert a Google Group to a Simple Machines Forum

Started by johntim, May 24, 2024, 05:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johntim

Hi, I'm working with a nonprofit and I'd like to have them start using SMF for part of what they are using a Google Group for. Currently it's a mix of local events, setting up meetings, and more general information about the group's topic, which is creating native plant habitats. Google groups works well enough for the first two, but for creating native plant habitats discussions it is clunky and inadequate. And it will become more dysfunctional as more topics (i.e. "conversations" in Googlespeak) are added.

How would one go about setting up a SMF forum which would contain all the individual subscribers to the group, their contact info, and copies of all the relevant G-group "conversations" and "replies" as SMF "Topics" and "Posts?"

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Kindred

I do not believe that there is any good way to convert from Google groups to smf... 
I also don't think there us any way to link the Google groups service into smf
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oldiesmann

Short of writing a script to scrape the information (which probably violates Google's terms of service), there likely isn't a way to do that unless you can export the conversations
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: