News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I need help setting the email options. Not receiving emails from forum

Started by Stephanielynn, May 24, 2024, 06:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephanielynn

SMF 2.1.4
PHP 7.4

No Modifications added.  I recently had to start over with a fresh install and new database.

Forum is:  allmyprettyfriends .com

I've tried multiple mail settings and have had problems with each.

The email I would like to use is [email protected], this is through my host co., and I have sent and received other emails with it. I have a gmail account I can use, but I also get errors with that.

With the following mail settings I get these errors.

PHP (default) - no error, test message sent successfully, but does not show up in my inbox. Registration emails are not arriving at all.

SMTP or SMTP - STARTTLS "unable to send a test message, check the error log for more information"
  error log  "Could not get mail server response codes"

I've read the wiki page on setting up mail, I've searched this forum, and I'm not finding anything that helps me, I may not be understanding what I'm reading.

Kindred

Best bet is to check with your host about how to set up your mail for smtp...

And also,  you have to configure your mail server with dmarc and other anti-spam requirements.

Best bet again is to check with your host
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Stephanielynn

Stephanielynn

Kindred

Wow, that's a cop out for any decent host... they should've been able to help you configure smtp on your local mail server
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Stephanielynn

I need to change hosts.  They weren't much help during a recent intrusion.

Steve

Please don't tell us you're on GoDaddy ... if so, get a new host asap.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Stephanielynn

No.  Used to be on GoDaddy.  Now on Tierra Hosting.  They have been reliable, but not much help when I have problems.

Kindred

ICD Soft has been my go to host for over a decade. I have never had a ticket go more than 5 minutes unclaimed and their answers/assistance has always gone above and beyond.

I host 14 sites with them right now
Слaва
Украинi

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Stephanielynn on May 25, 2024, 04:39:08 PMI need to change hosts.  They weren't much help during a recent intrusion.

That's putting it mildly. The sooner you change hosts the better.

Quote from: Steve on May 25, 2024, 04:54:44 PMPlease don't tell us you're on GoDaddy ... if so, get a new host asap.

GoDaddy is better that the aforementioned host, if you can believe that :D

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

shawnb61

Sometimes you need to prefix the server with ssl://

Have you tried that?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

casper32

Are you using SMTP, password, username, are you sure you entered them correctly?
Belki Bir Gün....

Advertisement: