News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Permissions

Started by ColinJM, May 25, 2024, 03:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinJM

Can some explain simply and step by step,  how I give people read access to a Category so they can see them, read the, but can't post please?
Kind Regards

Colin

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Exact steps depend on your current permission setup, but read, post and reply are different permissions.

Just remember, by default if someone belongs in any group allowing a permission, they will have the permission.

Deny is actually strongest, if you use deny permissions, and then if any one group denies a permission the user will not have the permission.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ColinJM

thanks for the quick reply Aleksi - yes I do appreciate that read, post and reply are different.

How do I set permissions of each group so only certain people have read access permissions, but they don't have post or reply permissions?
Kind Regards

Colin

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In order to answer that in detail, I would need to know your membergroups and their permissions, but generally:

A new user joins, they belong to "regular members" and one of your post count groups (which, is based on post count).
If either of these 2 groups grants a permission, the user will have it.

If the new user is added to a different primary (visible) group, they will no longer be a regular user, they will belong to that manually set primary group, and one of your post count groups.

Handy cheat sheets:
Go to any users profile -> Profile info -> Permissions, and you will see what groups are giving out what permissions to that individual user.

Go to admin -> Maintenance -> Reports -> Group permissions, and you will see what groups have what permissions set.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.1:Permissions
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ColinJM

OK - thanks heaps Slava - quite a bit to get my old grey matter around!  O:)
Kind Regards

Colin

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It is complex, but it is also one of my favorite features of SMF because it is very powerful and flexible.
You can use permissions in SMF in so many different ways. :)

Basics to allow access, but not allow posting is fairly easy actually now that I think about it.
Read is not actually a permission, it is a group based access setting that you can set for each board separately.
( Modify a board, you will see a list of groups allowed in. Same logic applies, a user belonging to any of the groups will get access ).
The only permissions you need to worry about, are the ones related to posting polls, topics, and replies.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ColinJM

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 25, 2024, 03:54:09 AMThe only permissions you need to worry about, are the ones related to posting polls, topics, and replies.

Almost correct - I have Boards where I want members of a small group to be able to post - but no one else - but I've now figured that out thanks to you  :)
Kind Regards

Colin

ColinJM

Arrghhh - I thought I had resolved setting a post permission for one group on one Board - but when I take that permission of one group it applies it to all boards not just the one..... :'(
Kind Regards

Colin

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

For one board only, you would need to create a new permission profile.

All permissions are forum wide by default, but you can create different profiles for specific boards.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Illori

take a look at https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Category:Permissions and the profiles mentioned within.

ColinJM

Kind Regards

Colin

Advertisement: