News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Google Member Map

Started by TLM, December 18, 2005, 08:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L.G.S

still got no idea where to add it ?
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

L.G.S

OK I did it, but it hasn't changed a thing :(

www.gamesandgoals.com

TLM

Quote from: The Outsider on December 19, 2005, 03:53:43 PM
OK I did it, but it hasn't changed a thing :(
I beg to differ, I can read the text now in the popup ballons on your map now with out having to highlight, just cant read the map type control buttons which is out of my control.  Altough I see a "typo" on my part, but oh well..

L.G.S

ahhh had to refresh cache.

thanks

www.gamesandgoals.com

JayBachatero

Quote from: ExistenZ on December 19, 2005, 03:26:42 PM
I just want to say: Maybe it would be wise to put underneith the map in the profile something like: "Use at your own risk" or something.

Yes that is very true.  Maybe you can add some permissions to it.

-JayBachatero
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

TLM

Quote from: JayBachatero on December 19, 2005, 04:15:51 PM
Quote from: ExistenZ on December 19, 2005, 03:26:42 PM
I just want to say: Maybe it would be wise to put underneith the map in the profile something like: "Use at your own risk" or something.

Yes that is very true.  Maybe you can add some permissions to it.

-JayBachatero
What kind of permission do you have in mind? View and place?

JayBachatero

What members can see the membermap, use the google extension and so on.
Follow me on Twitter

TLM

Quote from: JayBachatero on December 19, 2005, 04:39:08 PM
What members can see the membermap, use the google extension and so on.
Sounds like a view and placeing permissions to me...

Anyone else have any objection to this then?

JayBachatero

If you need any help I can give you a hand.
Follow me on Twitter

ExistenZ

No objection. Just as long as you can still set it to accept any member.
Regards,
Andre

JayBachatero

Right now I'm thinking of two permissions.  Add Pins to map and view pins.  There is no way to setpermissions on the google extensions unless you fing a way to make google check for sessions or cookies or something to that matter.
Follow me on Twitter

Grudge

I love the work you've done - fantastic mod. Would love to see people's avatars popup as well. I wonder whether in the future you should add filters (alphabetical for example) if a board has a lot of members - to limit how many pins it shows at once?

On an unrelated note, didn't realise you were webmaster for TPF - coolio - reminds me of my TFC days
I'm only a half geek really...

TrickyDicky

Hi there,

I'm using Helios Multi and don't see the map in profile.  I see it when I change back to forum default theme.  Can you help me out?  Thanks!

JayBachatero

Quote from: Grudge on December 19, 2005, 06:27:21 PM
I love the work you've done - fantastic mod. Would love to see people's avatars popup as well. I wonder whether in the future you should add filters (alphabetical for example) if a board has a lot of members - to limit how many pins it shows at once?
If I'm correct he's working on limiting the amount of pins due to the fact that if there are too many pins the application locs up the browser.

Quote from: TrickyDicky on December 19, 2005, 06:30:50 PM
Hi there,

I'm using Helios Multi and don't see the map in profile.  I see it when I change back to forum default theme.  Can you help me out?  Thanks!
How to make mods work with themes?

-JayBachatero
Follow me on Twitter

TLM

Quote from: Grudge on December 19, 2005, 06:27:21 PM

On an unrelated note, didn't realise you were webmaster for TPF - coolio - reminds me of my TFC days
Thanks, and I must say I am the only one now working on the TPF website asside from Swordsman who is doing the graphics, and that TPF has moved on from TFC due to its loosing interest in everyone, darn that counterstrike!  But yes, I will get around to doing things like cleaning up the popup and adding filters, keep in mind I just shoved it out the door to please people for now.  There is a half ass system right now to limit the pins, I dont like it but its a quick hack, total > max, pick randomly till max.  Eventually I would like to make it so it groups areas together or something and upon zoom in on that area it redraws the pins according to what your looking at with a slight "fuzz" factor.

Quote from: JayBachatero on December 19, 2005, 05:34:32 PM
Right now I'm thinking of two permissions.  Add Pins to map and view pins.  There is no way to setpermissions on the google extensions unless you fing a way to make google check for sessions or cookies or something to that matter.
Well I think it shall come to be, two permissions, one to view the maps, on profile and main, and one to set your pin in profile.  But I have a question about this, what if the user at one point gets permission to put there pin, what happens if they get removed from that group?  Do we clear there pin? Keep it but not display it?  Or do we just simply ignore that there no longer in that group and just display the pin anyway?

I suppose I should on the first post make a ToDo list so people know what is to come?

JayBachatero

Ahh that raises an important issue.  I didn't think about this.  I guess remove the pin since they dont have permission to see it or anything.
Follow me on Twitter

TLM

Quote from: JayBachatero on December 19, 2005, 07:30:04 PM
Ahh that raises an important issue.  I didn't think about this.  I guess remove the pin since they dont have permission to see it or anything.
Who says they dont have permission to see it? I am just saying for placing there pin.

JayBachatero

I guess yea you can leave it there because then they will ask were did my pin go and so on...
Follow me on Twitter

TLM

Alrighty, I am starting to lay the ground work for some permissions, although not exactly sure where I am gonna go with this tonight.  I will also do an update to the user popup on the map to include avatar and look nicer.  Those two things are what I am aiming for for 0.50 which if I push myself could be tonight.  I will also try to include a upgrade so you dont have to uninstall before installing the new version.

TLM

Well its looking like I wont get 0.50 out tonight, but here is a screenshot from TPF where I am testing most of my changes right now.  Looks great when the information is all there, horrible when it is not.  Hopefully though I will come up with a solution to the crapyness of lacking info, but any objections to what the new popup will look like?  Yes the messenger icons are clickable.  I thought about cloning the part thats under the avatar on the left of each post, in how those icons are layed out, I still might, but I think how it is now is good.

Well I will continue to work till I fall asleep, but I can say 0.50 wont be out till tommarow sometime.

Advertisement: