News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Shared Forum Mod

Started by Goosemoose, January 06, 2006, 03:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I think this mod has been replaced by Multiple Forum Mod which runs as standalone rather than bridged with Joomla or other CMS.

The mod is here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2137
Its support is here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=349954.0

It works almost the same.

Quote from: Abu Fahim Ismail on March 12, 2010, 05:16:42 AM
I think this mod has been replaced by Multiple Forum Mod which runs as standalone rather than bridged with Joomla or other CMS.

The mod is here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2137
Its support is here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=349954.0

It works almost the same.

However, I really think that this mod is much more superior. I have found the files needed to do modifications to apply this mod on SMF 2.0 RC3 as a standalone. But it is not working. May be somebody can help me out here.

I will list the modifications that I attempted:

1.  Install forum
- On a subdomain, for example forum1.yoursite.com. This will be you *main* forum with all categories visible. (by Mr. Jinx)

2. Create a subdomain
- For every forum you want, this subdomain should point to forum1.yoursite.com (no redirects) (by Mr. Jinx)

3. Run phpMyAdmin
(Goosemoose note: If your prefix isn't smf_ , make sure to change it.)

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `smf_forums` (
  `forumName` text NOT NULL,
  `catList` varchar(128) NOT NULL default ''
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

4. Creating / Inserting data.
(This category must exist i.e. already created.)

forumName catList
forum1.yoursite.com 1,2,3,4
forum2.yoursite.com 1,5,6,7
forum3.yoursite.com 1,4,8,9

5. Modifications

5.1 Load.php
Find:
$user_info['query_see_board'] = '(FIND_IN_SET(' . implode(', b.member_groups) != 0 OR FIND_IN_SET(', $user_info['groups']) . ', b.member_groups) != 0' . (isset($user_info['mod_cache']) ? ' OR ' . $user_info['mod_cache']['mq'] : '') . ')';
Add After:
// Added for the multiple forum mod
     if(!isset($_REQUEST['action']) && !isset($_REQUEST['board']) &&!isset($_REQUEST['topic'])){
      $domain = $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'];
           $forumList = db_query("SELECT catList FROM {db_prefix}forums WHERE forumName = '$domain'", __FILE__, __LINE__);
          $row_forumList = mysql_fetch_assoc($forumList);
           $user_info['query_see_board'] .= ' AND FIND_IN_SET(b.ID_CAT, "' . $row_forumList['catList'] . '")';
     }

5.2 - Subs-BoardIndex.php
A. Find:
// Find all boards and categories, as well as related information.  This will be sorted by the natural order of boards and categories, which we control.
Add Before:
   // Added for the multiple forum mod
    if(!empty($_REQUEST['forum']) && !isset($_REQUEST['board']) &&!isset($_REQUEST['topic'])){
      $forumList = db_query("SELECT catList FROM {db_prefix}forums WHERE forumName = '$_REQUEST[forum]'", __FILE__, __LINE__);
      $row_forumList = mysql_fetch_assoc($forumList);
     $user_info['query_see_board'] .= ' AND FIND_IN_SET(b.ID_CAT, "' . $row_forumList['catList'] . '")';
   }

B. Find:
AND b.child_level BETWEEN ' . $boardIndexOptions['base_level'] . ' AND ' . ($boardIndexOptions['base_level'] + 1)),

Replace:
AND b.child_level BETWEEN ' . $boardIndexOptions['base_level'] . ' AND ' . ($boardIndexOptions['base_level'] + 1)) . ' ORDER BY "{db_prefix}categories.cat_order", b.board_order ASC',

5.3 Settings.php
B. Find:
$boardurl = '.....';
Replace:
$boardurl = 'http://' . $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'];

6. Modify Feature Configuration
(Mr. Jinx note: This step is optional. If you want your users to stay online on all forums, you'll have to change the following settings:)

Admin > Server Settings > Feature Configuration >  Enable local storage of cookies = DISABLED
Admin > Server Settings > Feature Configuration >  Use subdomain independent cookies = ENABLED

I have tried and it makes no affect. Please feel free to point and correct any mistakes. Thanks.

Maybe, the standalone domain name is not working well. I will try with bridged version later.

I have made several attempts for the standalone with several results.

I manage to get all domains reading but get the only specific categories appear.

I also have made references to several other mods i.e. Multidomain SMF forum http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=171340.0 and Multiple Forum Mod http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2137.

All I can say based on my experiment is that this mod and Multidomain SMF forum needs some further modifications to suit SMF 2.0 RC3. Multiple Forum Mod (package mod), however, works with minor problems i.e. you must manually enter data at MySQL/MyPhpAdmin. (I dont care much about manual entry as this what this mod was at the beginning)

If anybody modified this and tried with success, do share. Cheers.

Kasp

i uploaded a file that i modified of the original multi_foum_mod

can be found at

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=349954.msg2538812#msg2538812

~DS~

Multiple  Forum Mod is much more simple and friendly IMO.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

I missed that post. Thanks a lot.

kingkingston

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on March 18, 2010, 01:59:38 PM
yes it is but there are some flaws in it

~DS~

Quote from: kingkingston on March 29, 2010, 04:44:56 AM
What is? Would you reconsidering using this? Shared Forum isn't even a mod.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

kingkingston

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on March 29, 2010, 04:47:56 AM
Quote from: kingkingston on March 29, 2010, 04:44:56 AM
What is? Would you reconsidering using this? Shared Forum isn't even a mod.
I don't mind using this mod, it is a great mod for different reasons but it just has a few little things that need to be fixed

luismanson

this wont work with RC3, right?

Quote from: luismanson on May 08, 2010, 05:09:06 PM
this wont work with RC3, right?
No, not yet... Nobody is taking over to make it work for SMF 2.0 RC3. I know of one mod that try to package this into mod but was aborted. I never really had a chance to look into it.

Kindred

this will never be made for 2.0, since this mod is dependent on the smf/joomla bridge... which is discontinued.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Quote from: Kindred on May 10, 2010, 08:12:39 AM
this will never be made for 2.0, since this mod is dependent on the smf/joomla bridge... which is discontinued.
There is a mod within this mod that make it possible as a standalone. I really believe that there is a packaged mod on this which was aborted. I will forward this later.

I have successfully done this with SMF 2.0 RC3. It is a multiple / sub domain shared forum mod. Categories can be shared.

However, I need to do some more testing. What I need?

1. I need to create a function that can create the required database tables.

2. I also need to create a function / set up a menu in admin control panel that would allow inserting data directly to the created table.

If anybody can guide me on this, I will package this mod for SMF 2.0 RC3.

I have forwarded the ideas to PortaMX and they have developed a very good mod for this and it is called a subforums mod. Those who are in need of this mod may request it from PortaMX (feline). They will release their beta soon an d it will also be packed together with PortaMX Portal mod.

feline

We have this mod developed yesterday for a wide open testing purpose.
You find more informations and download on http://portamx.com/topic_2008.0.html

Fel

Great news! I will try this latest one soonest.

Advertisement: