News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

admin status if you are moderator in a forum

Started by warrior, March 14, 2004, 01:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warrior

hi
if you are a administrator on primary group, and a moderator in a board, and post something in this board, your status in this post is "moderator" and not administrator.

the rights are true, but the display are not corect.

warrior

Chris Cromer

If you are an administrator... why would you need to be a moderator of a board. :-X
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

warrior

Quote from: Chris Cromer on March 14, 2004, 01:43:56 PM
If you are an administrator... why would you need to be a moderator of a board. :-X

not for myself.. was a post in the german board, and i post it only here... he has a bigger page, and want to show who is responsibly for this board with the moderator status in the forum index.

Chris Cromer

If they are an admin... wouldn't they have responsiblity over all boards not just 1 specific board? Their name is in RED on the board index for crying outloud.
Chris Cromer

warrior

yeah sure.. i see that like you... but the display as a moderator is not 100% corect.. and thats the reason too.. why i post this here.

Chris Cromer

This was mentioned before by [Unknown] to not be a bug. If you set them as a moderator, they are shown as a moderator intentionally. Although I don't know what the point in setting and admin as a moderator would be. If they can't figure out from your red name on the board index and the special red stars when you post that your in power... then they must be stupid. :P
Chris Cromer

[Unknown]

If you set them as a moderator, obviously you want them to show as a moderator.  So it does what you ask it.

-[Unknown]

warrior

ok.. i understand what you mean.. and i think the same.

mytreo

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 14, 2004, 04:44:32 PM
If you set them as a moderator, obviously you want them to show as a moderator. So it does what you ask it.

-[Unknown]

I'm having difficulties with this approach... I follow your logic but I'm finding it really inflexible and not at all practical. I often want to assign somebody moderator permissions on a board but I do not want this to override their main forum status. Your approach makes having "badges" for membergroups kind of pointless as they dont display everywhere, and badges are one of the great things in SMF.

For example, I have a group of "Star Developers" at our forum, and each star developer has his own board in which he has complete moderator control i.e. he is assigned as a moderator on that board (I dont know any other way of doing it?). But when he posts in that board he show's as a moderator, and not as a "star developer". That seems to make the membergroups and badges system irrelevant.

Please would you consider making it an option to "Display membergroup status for moderators"? I think this would make a lot of sense  :)

Chris
Treo forum - Powered by SMF, of course
Treo news - powered by MovableType and integrated with SMF
Treo downloads - hacked from phpNuke and integrated with SMF
Treo knowledge base - powered by Wikka and integrated with SMF
Treo 650 | Treo 700w | Treo 700p

erzon

I have the same problem before but i just understand that.

if your an administrator and you add your username in the moderator in any category when you post to that category it will not show the administrator but moderator instead. if you want to show your post as an administrator dont add your username in moderator list. in any category since you have all permission

Amacythe

mytreo, you can create a new membergroup for your "Star Developers" and set that as their primary membergroup.

mytreo

Quote from: Amacythe on December 29, 2004, 01:15:35 AM
mytreo, you can create a new membergroup for your "Star Developers" and set that as their primary membergroup.

That is what I have done, but when they post in a board where they moderate they still display as "Moderator".

[Unknown]

So don't make them a moderator, simply give them lots of permissions on that board...?

-[Unknown]

mytreo

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 29, 2004, 04:31:00 PM
So don't make them a moderator, simply give them lots of permissions on that board...?

-[Unknown]

Thanks for the replies folks

Can I assign board permissions to an individual member, or would that require the "permissions by member" mod? I thought that might be the only solution but it's not ideal. While you're here [Unknown] perhaps you know a way I could hack the code to do what I want?

Cheers
Chris

[Unknown]

Quote from: mytreo on December 29, 2004, 05:04:55 PM
Can I assign board permissions to an individual member, or would that require the "permissions by member" mod? I thought that might be the only solution but it's not ideal. While you're here [Unknown] perhaps you know a way I could hack the code to do what I want?

I can never get my head around what's so bad about creating a little group just for that person, e.g. "General English Supprt Moderator", and adding them into it as an "additonal" group....

Yes, hacking the code is another way - simply make it ignore moderator status.  Find, in Sources/Load.php:

// No need for moderator fixes if there are none or none among the requested users.
if (empty($board_info['moderators']) || (!$is_name && count(array_intersect($users, array_keys($board_info['moderators']))) == 0))
$moderator_fix = array('pg' => '', 'mg' => 'mem.ID_GROUP');
// Overwrite your primary group to moderator, if a user happens to be one.
else
$moderator_fix = array(
'pg' => 'AND mem.ID_MEMBER NOT IN (' . implode(', ', array_keys($board_info['moderators'])) . ')',
'mg' => 'IF(mem.ID_MEMBER IN (' . implode(', ', array_keys($board_info['moderators'])) . '), 3, mem.ID_GROUP)'
);

Replace:

$moderator_fix = array('pg' => '', 'mg' => 'mem.ID_GROUP');

Err.. untested but I'm pretty sure that's all that's needed.

-[Unknown]

Amacythe

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 29, 2004, 04:31:00 PM

-[Unknown]

THAT is what I was trying to say.  :)

mytreo

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 29, 2004, 09:56:30 PM

Err.. untested but I'm pretty sure that's all that's needed.

-[Unknown]

That appears to do the trick, thanks [Unknown] you rock!

Trekkie101

Unknown im making a mod of your code as it may help others and im trying out the modification system could you look over my package stuff and tell me if its right or anyone that knows what is right and not with packages.

Please no one else download this as it may cause you trouble, if it works ill move it to my paid hosting in January for all to download at there lesure.

What im probably gonna try and do is take all the little feature requests that people make and get given code by someone and see if I can make packages out of them and then maybe thats what ill do to help, Sound good?

ww.t101.4ums.net/Ignore_Mod_Status.zip

Please no one else download it, please.

[Unknown]

It looks great except one small thing - indentation.

You need to make sure it has the same tabs and indentation as the actual source files.  I recommend you copy it directly from Load.php into the xml file.

-[Unknown]

Trekkie101

Will do, didnt think it mattered or i would have fixed it myself.  :-\

Advertisement: