News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

"Illegal Copy of SMF!"

Started by Sp0ngeWorthy, January 09, 2006, 09:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sp0ngeWorthy

I know this error message has been posted before, but I have tried the listed solutions and it's not helping. I "upgraded" smf from 1.0.5 -> 1.1rc2 and the upgrade went fine according to the output from upgrade.php. However, I am still getting the message:

"Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!"

I am using a custom made skin on my boards but I even went directly into the database and changed the ID_THEME setting back to 0 to see if the default smf theme was working. Well, it's not just my custom theme that is now broken, it's all of them.

What settings do I need to change to get the copyright set correctly and how can a vendor released "upgrade" miss properly updating their own copyright? Whoops.

PS. I have already untarred the upgrade package a second time to make sure "all the files were copied over". They are. And I have also checked permissions on all files. They are golden.

snork13

put the new language files in your custom skin, should fix the problem/ or re-upload the language files in the default theme
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

Sp0ngeWorthy

I had already reloaded files twice so that's not it. I copied all files in the default/languages/ directory into my custom skin directory and then double checked permissions. everything is 644 for the server user just like always.

Also, NONE of the themes work after the "upgrade" so it's not just my custom skin...

:(

here are all the reference to "Copyright" in index.english.php

Line 4
global $forum_copyright, $forum_version, $webmaster_email;

Line 409
$forum_copyright = $context['forum_name'] . ' | Powered by <a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/" title="Simple Machines Forum" target="_blan
k">' . $forum_version . '</a>.<br />
&copy; 2001-2005, <a href="http://www.lewismedia.com/" target="_blank">Lewis Media</a>. All Rights Reserved.';

Aaron

That is the old languagefile, I'm afraid. You really need to re-upload the one from the package.

Hope this helps,
Aaron.

Sp0ngeWorthy

I have already done that.... twice.

Sp0ngeWorthy

I also saw your response in someone else's post about Subs.php so I reuploaded that one too... twice.  ::)

it still doesn't work.

redone

If you send me admin, ftp information via pm I will take a look. Problems like this are generally out of date language files.

:)

Sp0ngeWorthy

I have done a complete reinstall of smf 1.1RC2 and upgraded successfully. I have overwritten the entire Themes directory on my server with the fresh off the downloads page upgrade package Themes folder and it still doesn't work. So it's not the language files or anything in the Themes directory for that matter.

It appears that the template_copyright() call is going unanswered or returning nothing as that part of the page is missing. The images for mysql, etc are there but the text that usually appears between them is missing.

before anyone says "language files" please reread the top paragraph  ;)

does anyone know where the call to template_copyright() goes?

snork13

Quote from: redone on January 12, 2006, 01:15:03 PM
If you send me admin, ftp information via pm I will take a look. Problems like this are generally out of date language files.

i would take him up on this, have you check all the source file as well?
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

Sp0ngeWorthy

Quote from: snork13 on March 14, 2006, 01:46:37 PM
Quote from: redone on January 12, 2006, 01:15:03 PM

i would take him up on this, have you check all the source file as well?

this has to be something in the database itself. if it resides in the [Themes] directory or the [Sources] directory, then it exists in the default install package, the update package, and the upgrade package. I have repeatedly rm -Rf * the Theme and Source directories and loaded the brand new version out of each package above. Every single time it says the same thing.

and please forgive me, but I can't give out admin level privs to anyone on my box regardless of how well liked or friendly they are. that's more security risk than I am willing to expose myself to. no offense, of course.  :)

Kindred

the call for template_copyright() must be in the footer of your index.template.php.
it must appear on EVERY page and can not be done through an "include"...

the function itself is buried deep in one of the source files, not in the database.
the text for the function is in the langauge files...

I would suggest that you have either a) corrupted language files (maybe your source is corrupted on you local computer and each time you are uploading a newly corrupted version) or b) out of date language files (language files for 1.1RC1 or previous may cause issues...)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sp0ngeWorthy

Quote from: Kindred on March 14, 2006, 01:57:39 PM
the call for template_copyright() must be in the footer of your index.template.php.
it must appear on EVERY page and can not be done through an "include"...

the function itself is buried deep in one of the source files, not in the database.
the text for the function is in the langauge files...

I would suggest that you have either a) corrupted language files (maybe your source is corrupted on you local computer and each time you are uploading a newly corrupted version) or b) out of date language files (language files for 1.1RC1 or previous may cause issues...)

ok. it's _not_ the language files! seriously, it's not. also, I have redownloaded the install, upgrade, and update packages at least 5 times each. so if there is a corruption issue, it's on the server here which I doubt completely. so that's not it either. see below...

ok. progress is being made. yay!

it _was_ in the database like I suspected. The upgrade.php script did _not_ update the path to the Themes directories.

the script would work if you had the exact same absolute path from the original install. but people like me can't take the forums down for an hour or more while the update.php script runs. especially since there can be problems which would keep you down even longer.

because of that, I use a beta directory to do new installs into and test before I go live with it. any real IT shop would do the same.

that said, it appears that the problem with the upgrade.php script is that it doesn't try and determine it's own absolute path and use that as a default to correctly set the themes, smilies, and other absolute path type settings.

now that I have the paths corrected, the forums are accessible, but the error message is still down there. working on getting it removed now...

and no, it's not in the language files  ;)

Kindred

well.....   actually, yes it WAS the language files.  The fact was that your installation was pointing to the OLD langauge files...

next time, you can try running repair_settings.php, which you should do any time you change any paths or reinstall things in a different setup.

Seriously, dude...  you did not mention (in any of your previous messages) that you had upgraded by doing an installation in a different directory
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: