Terra Incognita

Started by jasidog, March 16, 2006, 07:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasidog

Link to the theme

Terra Incognita  is largely based the work that produced the previous SMF theme, Endar. As such it does have many similarities. Though these may not be immediately obvious.

The template comes in hues of red, browns, greens and yellows. Largely red and tan and has an unusual layout. It is constructed almost completely without the use of tables. As a result a large proportion of the XHTML has been rewritten.

There are detailed instructions and information in the readme file contained in the Terra Incognita zip archive. As well as a header PSD file for logo customisation. Please consult the readme HTML file, though support is available.

Demo at - http://smf.jasidog.com/index.php?action=forum;theme=11

Thantos

Very nicely done.  I like the look a lot.

beans

Nice look, but the bottom displays a large message:

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!

which is BS. I don't even understand how one can have an illegal copy of a free forum software.

Thantos

Beans it sounds like your language files are out of date.  Please verify that you are using SMF 1.1 RC2 and not a version from SMF 1.0.  Also there is a license you agree to when you use SMF.  Part of that is to display the copyright notice.  Failure to do so would mean you are breaking the license agreement and thus are using the software illegally.

PopLife

A blue variation would be really nice. I would be happy to work on one if you'd let me Jasidog.

jasidog

Quote from: beans on March 30, 2006, 12:12:28 AM
Nice look, but the bottom displays a large message:

Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!

which is BS. I don't even understand how one can have an illegal copy of a free forum software.

Bit late to reply here sorry bout that, I hadn't realised there was a a subforum for this stuff. Anyhow your not alone in having that issue Beans. Several people have had it and every time they've been running the theme on the wrong version of SMF. You can't run it on 1.0.x it needs to be run on 1.1 RC2.

No offence intended Beans really but reading the description does help. :)

Quote from: giba_choo on April 01, 2006, 03:41:42 AM
A blue variation would be really nice. I would be happy to work on one if you'd let me Jasidog.

You're more than welcome to give it a go Giba. :)

Pride

I wish you would've create the theme to be full screen. The fixed width does not work with our Forum and this one the members would've truly loved!

jasidog

Hi Pride. :)

It is pretty easy to change it. All you need to do is open up the Terra Incognita CSS from the admin panel or even easier the CSS file it's self. The "style.css" is located in the Endar template folder.

Your-SMF-Install/Themes/Terra-Incognita/style.css

Look for the following -

/*  overall  width  of  forum  */
#wrapper  {
padding:2%  0;
margin:0px  auto;
width:750px;
text-align:left;
}

Where it says "width:750px" edit the pixel value to suit. So for example if you wanted an overall width of 100% for the forum. You would change it to the following.

/*  overall  width  of  forum  */
#wrapper  {
padding:2%  0  0  0;
margin:0px  auto;
width:100%;
text-align:left;
}

kateydrop

Right at the bottom of the board index,

:'( :'(
"I am the way, the truth, and the life - no one comes to the father except through me.

jasidog

Hi Kateydrop, sorry about that it must be somewhat alarming.

You're using it with an incompatable version of SMF.

Terra Incognita will not work correctly with SMF 1.0.x and that message you posted is a by product.

It needs to be used with SMF 1.1 RC3.

So you need to either upgrade your SMF board to this or uninstall the theme. Sorry.

NotNice

I have 1.1RC3 and I just installed the template
it is going to take some time before I make is 'public' because I want to translate the buttons first and adjust the look&feel to my own website, but I am already in love with it! it is totally 100% absolute a non-standard forum-look! Not the ever-andever-on-going blue tabular boxes (no offense intended)

my users are probably going to have a hard time getiing used to it  ;)
but it is a great improvement, one for which I have been searching quite some time

thanks a lot!

The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

The Peace Maker

Hello and first I want to congratulate you for the very well done theme ..

Anyway I have 2 questions for you ..

1. I would like to modify the Terra Incognita Banner and put my banner there .. can you pls tell me where to look ¿

2. I saw that the theme changes the avatar settings. I would like to restrict all avatars to 100x150 .. because almost all avatars on my forum are 100x100 / 100x150 .. so is there any way that I can do that .. make the theme respect the original forum restrictions for avatars.

Anyway .. I really hope U can help because I like your theme a lot ..

Thanx.

jasidog

Thanks NotNice! :)

Hi Peace Maker! Thanks for the compliments. :)

First the Banner, if you look inside the downloaded zipfile for the theme. Inside there is another zip file which contains the PSD file for the banner. You can use that to edit it to your tastes and then export the slices.

With the resulting images or image. You then upload via FTP to -

your-SMF/Themes/Terra-Incognita/Images/

Replacing the original file.

If you have any problems with that or you don't have photoshop let me know and I'll try and help you out.

Now for the avatars. I Think if you have set a limit on avatar sizes via the admin panel then the theme will respect it. If you find it doesn't then let me know and I'll tell you how to fix it. :)

kam4

thank you for a big effort .
i used your nice theme in my forum which is arabic right to left  how to change it
to be rtl thank you

jasidog

Hi Kam4. :)

I'm not sure how well I can do it simply.

Changing text direction alone will be easy enough but any layout direction will be a bit more involved I think.

I'll take a look at it tonight and get back to you as soon as I can. :)

jasidog

Try this replacement CSS file.

>> Download

Upload using FTP to -

your-smf/Themes/terra-incognita/

I don't know if it will help much or not. Let me know if it works at all and if there are any problems I'll try and help you.
-------------------

This particular subject of right to left language,  moved over to here - http://jasidog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1799

amrita4ever

Hey I have two questions:
1) Does this theme work with SMF 1.1.1?
2) Is there a way I can change the main forum page to not be centered but be like the Default theme where Left side has Topic name and description and right aligned is the post count, most recent post, etc.?

jasidog

It's for 1.1.2, it shouldn't have too many problems with 1.1.1 I'd think.

As to point two yes there is a way however it will take quite a bit of reworking for that to happen. Removing the current HTML and adding back in the default.

You would be better using a theme with traditional layout to start with I think. As for future compatibility updates to the theme. If you wanted to update you may depending on what files have changed in the theme need to add the changes again.

mrstime

I love this theme but can't get it to upload.  It gives me the error message that it isn't the right file or is corrupt.  :(

jasidog

Hmm, I'll check that out later on tonight mrstime. I can't at the moment.

Can you check if you have the same issue with the download available at my site - http://jasidog.com/smf/108/Terra-Incognita

Advertisement: