Ultimate Shoutbox

Started by Grudge, March 28, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col

Hi,

Yes, you are confusing this with Chat; this is not chat. It does reload the whole page, but you could place the shoutbox into an iframe. There was a post about this a few pages back. I too tried this some time ago, but I couldn't get it to work the I wanted it to. I can't remember what the problem was now, it was probably me trying to be too clever, and failing miserably.

An iframe should work. I hope that the shoutbox is adapted some day so that it it doesn't refresh the whole screen.

Edit: typos

ufuk.exe

iFrame, the contents of iframe should be according to 'HTML' option as written by the auther, pls remember that..
also iFrame layout will be messed up on different resolutoion users, and their window sizes..
because it won't resize posts/chatbox dynamically.
www.34tr.com - Nostalgia Istanbul
www.jeepprojects.com - Jeep Projects

That's It Simple Machines Forum,
It just couldn't be simpler.

raiderray

Is there a way to shorten the height of the shoutbox?

Col

Yes, you will need to use vertical scrolling with the iframe option, otherwise you can expect the height of the shoutbox to vary with content. Although I have come across code that will supposedly dynamically vary the height of the iframe, I could not get any of them to work properly some 12 months ago when I needed it for something else.

raiderray

Is there an example? I've tried plugging it in to an iFrame and I'm not sure how to place it in the iframe.

ufuk.exe

your iframe could be shoutbox_frame.php
and include ONLY the code

if (function_exists('smfshout'))
  smfshout();

in it.

i don;t know if this would work or not.. getting the function...
www.34tr.com - Nostalgia Istanbul
www.jeepprojects.com - Jeep Projects

That's It Simple Machines Forum,
It just couldn't be simpler.

Teknomancer

So in this shoutbox the entire page will reload? How come shoutboxes of vBulletin finds a way to make ONLY the shoutbox part reload?

http://misticriver.net has a shoutbox that works without reloading the full page, only the shoutbox PORTION of it.

Is there anyway for this to be done with SMF shoutbox?? Will putting in an iFrame acheive this effect of ONLY loading the shoutbox?
My SMF Forum:

Col

Putting the shoutbox in an iframe should work. I think someone posted about this a few pages back.

ZhongFu

Would Ultimate Shoutbox be use on 1.0.6?
My SMF at www.community.wuzhongfu.com [nofollow]

yellow1912

Why dont you just put a scroll bar so that we can scroll down and see all the previous shouts? It's much better than auto-scroll using javascript.
My SMF forum ^^
An Ecommerce site I help to build

Teknomancer

I tried putting shoutbox in an iFrame but everytime a shout is submitted INSIDE The iFrame my full site reloads not just the shoutbox.

Can someone tell me a step by step example of what files to create and what to put in them to make my shoutbox be in an iFrame FOR THE SOLO PURPOSE of having to NOT reload the full page each time the shoutbox is reloaded. Something like AUTO-REFRESH JUST teh shoutbox portion but still be visible in BoardIndex.template.php ...

I tried searching a lot, past 1 hour actually and I still am not sure how to achieve this... I'm a bit poor at php/iframe thingy.
My SMF Forum:

Col

You will have SSI to display the shoutbox on a blank page. You will then need to call this page to appear within your iframe within your forum. (Maybe there is some other way, but that is what I did).

I had some problems, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what they were when I tried this. I did try adding a refresh button, so my problems may have been related to that.

Webrunner

I want to show the shouts as an rss-feed.
Is that possible?
There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

=========================================
Vrouwen Power! | Sprintweb: No nonsense e-Business consultancy

ZhongFu

Would Ultimate Shoutbox be use on 1.0.6?
My SMF at www.community.wuzhongfu.com [nofollow]

Col

I've just tried this out on a pristine 1.0.6 board I've just installed. There is a problem.

./Sources/ModSettings.php Failure

Grudge seems to be busy with other things at the moment. I will have a look at it over the next day or so, but I am not a coder. It might just be a typo. :-\

Edit: I've just realised that it is not listed to work with 1.0.6. Still, it is working on my 1.0.6 forum, so I guess you could install 1.0.5, add the shoutbox, and then upgrade to 1.0.6 (assuming there is no error with mod package). - I'll still try to look at it.

Col

I have the answer, I just don't have the the solution!

You need to add "1.0.6" to line 9 in "package-info.xml". Unfortunately, I think the install must be run from "shout_v1.33.tar.gz", and I cannot create this type of zip file.

Because version 1.0.6 is not listed in package-info.xml, the wrong install file is run instead. This should be really east yo fix, but I cannot do it. There are two other ways of going about this.

Install the mod anyway, and manually edit "modsettings.php" afterwards, using the code from "shoutbox_v1.33o.mod", and not "shoutbox_v1.33.mod".

<edit file>
$sourcedir/ModSettings.php
</edit file>

<search for>
'karma' => 'ModifyKarmaSettings',
</search for>

<add after>
'shout' => 'ModifyShoutboxSettings',
</add after>

<search for>
'layout' => array(
'title' => $txt['mods_cat_layout'],
'href' => $scripturl . '?action=featuresettings;sa=layout;sesc=' . $context['session_id'],
),
</search for>

<add after>
'shout' => array(
'title' => $txt['shoutbox_0'],
'href' => $scripturl . '?action=featuresettings;sa=shout;sesc=' . $context['session_id'],
),
</add after>

The easier way, as I said before, is to install this to 1.0.5 (if you have upgraded to 1.0.6, uninstall the upgrade), install the shoutbox (this should install flawlessly), and then reapply the upgrade to 1.0.6.

I'm sending a PM to Grudge asking that he adds "1.0.6" to the list in package-info.xml.

If you do decide to do this yourself, be sure to make a backup first!

Edit: You can forget all that I wrote above, just uninstall (if you forced the install), delete the package, and download the new mod package Grudge has uploaded.

Grudge

I'm only a half geek really...

Teknomancer

Quote from: Col on February 19, 2006, 10:48:54 AM
You will have SSI to display the shoutbox on a blank page. You will then need to call this page to appear within your iframe within your forum. (Maybe there is some other way, but that is what I did).

I had some problems, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what they were when I tried this. I did try adding a refresh button, so my problems may have been related to that.
OK I finally got this.

http://toonsandcomics.com

But the shoutbox is not using my THEME's style sheet.. I tried putting a "link ref" tag inside the shout.template.php and it did not work.

I have MOVED the shoutbox template from Default directory to my Theme's directory. The javascript file is still left in default directory because $[default_theme_url] is used in the template ...
{EDIT) OK I got the theme to work.

Now how do I make the shoutbox auto-refresh?
My SMF Forum:

keltiek

I get some errors with the 1.33 version :

https://sitessl/forum/index.php?action=shout_archive
8: Undefined index: url_direct
File: ... /Themes/default/shout.template.php (eval?)
Line: 25
or
Line: 8

Any idea of what is going wrong ?

ps; What's new in 1.34 ?

Joekill

In "features", where I should get the SB settings, i get this:

hxxp:img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen3dt.jpg [nonactive]
hxxp:imageshack.us [nonactive]

Advertisement: