News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Getting to know the team: Kindred

Started by Kindred, April 28, 2006, 08:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

no... I am not from Boston (bahstan)

I do not have a new englander accent at all. I pronounce all my "R"s. :)

I am not Irish.
I have a Rav4 and a Corolla...
I drink Long Island Iced Tea, Tanqueray or Single Malt Scotch
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aravot

When did you get into coding? How did you learn (book, course, ...)

Kindred

I was coding Basic and Pascal when I was 15... (courses in HS)

When I started running WWIV BBS, I got the source code (in Turbo pascal originally, then it switched to C, and finally to C++) and so learned those languages...
(it was rather amusing, taking a C++ course in college. I had already disected WWIV which was about 50,000 lines of code... so the course was an easy A)

on the web, HTML is fairly basic (no pun intended) and didn't take that much to figure out... and the logic of javascript, php and perl is fairly consistant with what I know from C.  

Although I have several reference books and sites that I use occasionally, Mostly I have learned by doing.

Oh yes..   and I learned MS visual basic by playing around in Excel.

essentially, once you know one Object Oriented programming language, the other stuff is pretty much the same, even if the actual commands differ slightly.  It's the logic that is really what you need to know. :)

BTW: (on a completely unrelated note) for anyone who wants to meet me...   I will be at The Black Road (Marlboro, MA) at the end of June, at DexCon (East Brunswick, NJ) in July and at DragonCon (Atlanta, GA) in September.  :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aravot

Quote from: Kindred on May 04, 2006, 04:48:49 PM
BTW: (on a completely unrelated note) for anyone who wants to meet me...   I will be at The Black Road (Marlboro, MA) at the end of June, at DexCon (East Brunswick, NJ) in July and at DragonCon (Atlanta, GA) in September.  :D

Anytime around Los Angeles, CA, PM me.

Next question, which MSCE do you hold (NT, 2000, 2003).

Kindred

Wow...  I haven't posted to this thread in years... :)

the funny thing is - not much has changed. I still work as a PM in IT (although for a different company)

I am drinking far more expensive alcohol these days....
XO Rums, more single malts, anejo tequilas and local craft beers

I'm going to DragonCon (Atlanta, GA) again this year...
Слaва
Украинi

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

dunno what you're talking about Runic...
Слaва
Украинi

Deaks

and your still operations manager ... you got the wrong badge then :P
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

lol... fine. be that way. :P

I skipped the top bit when I re-read, apparently.
Слaва
Украинi

Deaks

i just like being a pest you know that :D
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Antes

Quote from: Kindred on August 09, 2013, 11:58:12 AM
I am drinking far more expensive alcohol these days....
XO Rums, more single malts, anejo tequilas and local craft beers

Important things changed around...

Acans

QuoteI am a licensed bartender

Same, however I'm still yet to work in a bar :P
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Kindred

Is any one (except me) going to DragonCon?

Seriously?  With 300,000 members here, many of whom have embraced the awesomeness that is geekdom, and an expected 60,000+ attendees at DragonCon? no one else will even admit to going?

Tell you what...   if you come find me, I'll buy you a drink!
(hint: When I am not cruising the dealers' rooms, I'll be at the Hilton most of the time, playing DarkConfrontation)
Слaва
Украинi

Irisado

It's not my fault that you're on the wrong side of the Atlantic :P.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Arantor

Technically my e-visa would have been good to let me go to DragonCon but 1) I had to get back here to do other stuff and 2) I don't like Atlanta's airport, not after the last time when I had to be routed through there from Charlotte International, ugh that was a long and unpleasant evening.

Kindred

Oh, the Atlanta Airport is a nightmare...  no question about that. The only airport I have been in which was worse was Philidelphia...

DCon is the only reason I would ever go there... and my goal is to be in and out (whether coming or going) in as little time as possible.

In previous years, I lucked out - my friend, who is a cop down there, parked right in the cops only zone and picked me up right outside the doors.
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Joshua Dickerson

You ever fly through JFK? Or Dulles? I'd take ATL any day. It is huge, but I found my way around every time I have been there. If it is just a matter of size, O'Hare is a ******. I've had to run the length of it to catch my flight... that sucked.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Kindred

yeah... I don't mind JFK or Dulles (although I prefer Baltimore) and then driving if I am going to DC
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: