News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

comparing time values to find elapsed time...

Started by Les Mackenzie, April 14, 2004, 02:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Mackenzie

I'm in the process of writing a script that has turned into a bit of a mess...  Here's what I'm trying to accomplish...

I have two timestamp values stored in 'my' mysql database logged and last_updated.  I want to select all the values for a specific user, compare the values (time elapsed between the two)  create an average and then display it in a readable format.

How do you compare timestamps for an operation like this?

I have no idea how to do this but here is what I have so far...

<?
$query_time "SELECT * FROM $table_one WHERE assoc_id = $_SESSION[USER_ID] AND status = '3'";
$result_time mysql_db_query($database$query_time) or die ("Error in query: $query_time.".mysql_error());
?>
<table border="1" width="100%" id="table3">
<?
while ($a_row mysql_fetch_assoc($result_time))
{
$time_lapse =($a_row['last_updated'] - $a_row['logged']);
$logged time_format($time_lapse);

?>
<tr>
<td><? echo $logged?></td>
</tr>
<?
}
?>
</table>

Can anyone help me solve this problem or steer me in the right direction?
BLOGS SUCK! - HERE READ MINE

Please Note:  Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...  Even if you win you're still retarded.

Oldiesmann

Could you be a bit more specific? There are 12 seperate log tables in SMF.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Les Mackenzie

it's a general question...  not SMF related.  As you can see by the slopiness this is my code not [Unknown]'s :D

Please Note:  Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...  Even if you win you're still retarded.

Oldiesmann

I realize that's your code, but didn't realize it wasn't SMF related...

I think that the strftime function would be useful for you. Check out http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Les Mackenzie

It's not really a formatting question but a comparing question...  for instance I'm subtracting one value from the other and in some cases the value returned is not 14 digits in length.  Is there another way to compare two timestamps and get the proper time elapsed?

Oldiesmann

I see what you're saying. The lengthy string of digits is the number of seconds since the Unix epoch (whatever that is), which is January 1st, 1970 0:00:00 GMT (or December 31st, 1969 7:00:00PM Eastern time). So, by subtracting the two values, you're getting the difference in seconds.

EDIT: Here's something that will set $logged to display the difference in HH:MM:SS format...

$hours $time_lapse 3600//Determine how many hours
$time_lapse -=($hours 3600); // Subtract 3600 seconds for each hour
$minutes $time_lapse 60//Determine the number of minutes
$time_lapse -= ($minutes 60); // Subtract 60 seconds for each minute
$seconds $time_lapse//The rest is the number of seconds

//Format the minutes and seconds
$minutes $minutes $minutes '0' $minutes
$seconds 
$seconds $seconds '0' $seconds

$logged 
$hours ':' $minutes ':' $seconds;

That will display it the way you want it (if hours are less than 10, then it will only display 1 digit instead of 2).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Les Mackenzie

Thanks for all the help Oldiesmann.

But I'm feeling like a n00b...  here is an example of a value that is returned by the comparison... 7004127.  Now when I use the script you gave me to format it the value echo's back 1945.5908333333:00:00.  Am I doing something wrong here?

Oldiesmann

See my response to your post in the help wanted section.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: