News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Ignore user

Started by dilaca, April 05, 2004, 11:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudoka

The basic idea is this:

To create table in the database with two fields:
       1. user_ID     - the ID of a user
       2. ignore_list  - the list of user_ID's this user is ignoring

In the theme, where the posts are being displayed there would be a condition if the poster is ignored by the user then it would not display the post. nstead of the post there would be written "User ignored" and maybe a link to view the post.
    If the user is not ignored then the post is displayed normally.

Where the poster info is displayed there would be a link to "Ignore this user". This would add an entry in the table, with the ID of the user who is ignoring in the user_ID field and the id of the user who is being ignored in the ignored_list. More ignored users would be stored in one the ignored list, as a string separated with some special character. (\,/.*, whatever)

Though it might sound complicated I don't really think it is. There are some extra things to work out, but it's doable.
Rudolf

Spamiam

I came here hoping for an ignore feature, too.

If anyone has one, please give me a heads-up! Thanks!

gri

Quote from: Spamiam on July 12, 2005, 10:04:18 PM
I came here hoping for an ignore feature, too.

If anyone has one, please give me a heads-up! Thanks!

Spamiam,

We are not alone. Have your head up.
Don't forgive. We WILL replace moderation on the planet
with the Ignore feature.

Please, speak more Spamian then I do.

Spamiam

As an admin, I really hate babysitting the members. Their only option is to report posts, which they're not shy about doing. What am I supposed to do about that? That puts me, as an admin, in a tough place.

Our board members are very fond of discussing politics and religion, and these are what get reported. People are going to want to ignore each other in those realms. Trust me. It sucks for them to have to depend on me, and it sucks for me to be in that place.

On any board people get to know each other. That's what it's about. Regular visitors can become very familiar quickly, and often very predictable, to each other.

Most folks who would appreciate the ignore feature would use it in confidence. Considering it'd be a toggle, if the circumstance ever did arise that they'd want to "unignore", then they can. No harm done. Likewise, if they never wanted to use it at all, no harm done. 

Don't even worry about the quote function. Let it stand. Just a feature to ignore direct posts would be an upgrade.

I really see no reason not to do it, unless it somehow can't be done (and having read so much from the smf thinktankers I seriously doubt that's the case). Heck, me and many of our members would even pay for it. We REALLY want this.

gri

Quote from: Spamiam on August 13, 2005, 01:47:34 AM
As an admin, I really hate babysitting the members.

Spamiam,
sorry, I can not visit your forums..
until they are defended by the ignore feature.

So let's continue speaking here while..
in spite of all multiple inconveniences for inconvincibles.

JeF4y

Another supporter of this function...  And I'd throw out $50 for it as well...

I'd rather deal with idiots saying "why are these threads broken up and not flowing correctly" than saying "Dad!  so and so is bothering me again!!!".

Rudolf

Well, I just wrote this mod ... if anyone is still interested.
  I have tested it on SMF 1.0.3, 1.0.4, 1.0.5 and 1.1beta3. Note: All of them brand new, clean installations!
  Unfortunately I don't have a forum online to show it in work.

It's extremely simple, I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
  Basically the "features" are:
    1. When the topics are displayed places an "Ignore/Unignore" link in the "Author" section. Where the poster info are. "Ignore" if it's not ignored by you, and "UnIgnore" if it is.  ;)
    2. Hides the message from your view.
    3. Hides the "Quote", "Modify", "Delete" etc. buttons for that post.
    4. Adds a "Show/Hide" link there to Show (and Hide back) said message. Temporarily, right there right then.
    5. In place of the message says: "This user is ignored." This can be changed or removed completely.   ;)

That's all. If you "Ignore" a user everything he/she will write will not show up, for you only.
Additional notes:
Guests can't ignore!
You can't ignore yourself!
You can ignore anyone else, including administrators!  :D
If you ignore one guest, you ignore them all!

Rudolf
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

gri

Quote from: rudiksz on August 24, 2005, 01:22:26 AM
Well, I just wrote this mod ... if anyone is still interested.
  I have tested it on SMF 1.0.3, 1.0.4, 1.0.5 and 1.1beta3.
Note: All of them brand new, clean installations!

Unfortunately I don't have a forum online to show it in work.

It's extremely simple, I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
  Basically the "features" are:
    1. When the topics are displayed
       places an "Ignore/Unignore" link in the "Author" section.
       Where the poster info are.
       "Ignore" if it's not ignored by you,
        and "UnIgnore" if it is.  ;)
    2. Hides the message from your view.
    3. Hides the "Quote", "Modify", "Delete" etc. buttons for that post.
    4. Adds a "Show/Hide" link there to Show (and Hide back) said message.
       Temporarily, right there right then.
    5. In place of the message says: "This user is ignored."
       This can be changed or removed completely.   ;)

That's all. If you "Ignore" a user everything he/she will write
   will not show up, for you only.

Additional notes:
Guests can't ignore!
You can't ignore yourself!
You can ignore anyone else, including administrators!  :D
If you ignore one guest, you ignore them all!

Rudolf

Rudolf,

Post it to me immediately!
I wish very much to be the First.. once more!

I will give then a global link to the download page
with the "Ignore" feature mod files.

Thank you on behalf of a Humanity!

We'll continue discussing the details while further testing.

JeF4y

Rudlof,

I would be delighted to assist with testing.  My forum is fairly sizable:

www.cbr600rr.com/forum

I have smaller forums and testbeds as well.

Rudolf

OK, here's a link for you to download.
Ignore user

It works on any version from 1.0.3 up, including 1.1beta3public.
   Here's the usual disclaimer: This "software" is free to use but you do it at your own resposability! Specially, if you are volunteering to test it. ;)
   The modifications done in the source code itself are very minimal. They are simple additions, and *do not* change a single line of code from the original SMF. 
   This mod does not interfere with the posting mechanism, the permission system or anything else you can imagine. It creates a table in the database for it's own purposes, table which is not linked in any way to any other table.
    This being said, I think there are not many things that can go wrong, except if you heavily modified your forum the package manager could have problems installing it.

I welcome any question, feedback on the mod. I included a fairly detailed readme, which I think answers some common questions that could arise. The readme file is still in development though ;)

Ok, I could go on with this blabla for a long time. If you're ready, just go on and try it. And let me know how it goes. (make backups first, of course. ;))

Rudolf

Rudolf

Quote from: JeF4y on August 24, 2005, 06:53:59 AM
I would be delighted to assist with testing.  My forum is fairly sizable:

www.cbr600rr.com/forum

I have smaller forums and testbeds as well.

Hi Jef4y,
  from a first glance at your forum, I would say that you won't have many problems with this mod. It all depends on the other mods you have installed.
  Of course I recommend installing it on your test forums first, until you are comfortable with this mod.
  I'd surely appreciate any feedback on whether it is compatible with other mods or not.
  Since this is becoming a "support" discussion rather then a "feature request" you (and anyone else using this mod) can always drop me a PM if you have questions or feedback.

Rudolf

mennou

work not bad at all..  but how can i take  them off the ignore list?

Rudolf

You click the "Unignore" link.
  Once a user is ignored instead of "Ignore" you'll see "Unignore". That'll do.
  There's no "control panel" for this, the only way to ignore/unignore is right there from the posts. I tried to keep things simple.  :-\ I think it's a small trade-off.

Rudolf

mennou

Thanks for this mod  u are the man.. lol    and how can i make it work in private message?  like a block user..  let my member block people they don't want to get private  from them..

Rudolf

Thank you.

The PM blocking is already a standard feature in SMF.
In your profile go to "Personal Messages options" and there's an ignore list.

Rudolf

mennou

it'snot on  mine.. i don't see that option

Rudolf

That's strange because I see it in any version.

Rudolf

JeF4y

Rudolf, I'll put it on the testbed tonight and start integrating it within the next few days.  I have no other mods installed.  I do have banner code, etc which I've worked into the themes, but no feature mods.

Look for a feedback note in the next day or two.

Rudolf

OK, Jeff that's even better.
I wonder how you modified the theme. If you created a copy and modified that one (as suggested) you 'll need to add the modifications in your theme on your own. But that should be a piece of cake if you already have experience modifying themes. Read the readme and all should be fine ;)

Rudolf

mennou

i see what u were talking about..  not everyone will know if it's there... is there somehow  i can  show it on message  inbox  by the  reply  or send  message

Advertisement: