News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

New ways to download SMF

Started by Thantos, July 18, 2007, 03:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordtron

Im sorry but you just lost me SleePy lol

VainSoftGames.com - New Design To Gaming

SleePy

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Dannii

Yes, a useless index.php. That's not SMF style URL, that's just a lame PHP thing.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

lordtron

Just wondering, but how is it a lame PHP thing?

VainSoftGames.com - New Design To Gaming

Dannii

Cause it has index.php in it when there are ways to get around that.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Nordoelum

Thantos

I like some of these idea.  The latest filename thing isn't bad and should be doable.

Re: the /index.php/ thing

While I do agree it is fugly I'm not sure if removing it is the best thing.  The download page allows you to do http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php/filename.extension to get the file.  This is easy enough to handle because it will go through index.php regardless.  The apache trick basically does a "if the file doesn't exist and the directory doesn't exist rewrite the url" but that could cause problems if I have a file in same directory as index.php and is also a downloadable file.  I don't know for sure if that case is present now or is likely in the future, so I'd need to do some evaluating.

The alternative of course is to replace /index.php/ with something like /files/ but then is that really any different?

Advertisement: