Mod Authors: Modification Approval Guidelines

Started by winrules, October 03, 2006, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winrules

There have been some questions recently regarding the approval of mods that are submitted to our mod site. Basically we make sure that the mod is secure, installs and uninstalls without any errors, and follows our coding guidelines as best as possible. For more information about creating packages, see our package SDK.

Here is a detailed list of what we look for when approving mods:

• Package must decompress properly
  • Must not be a duplicate
  • No copyright issues
  • Must contain a package-info.xml

• Must have a valid ID and version number

• Package ID must follow the username:modname format (no spaces are allowed)
  • Must have install files
  • Must be formated properly for the format (BoardMod or XML) being used
  • Code must be clean

• There must be no security issues (i.e. data is properly sanitized before being put into the database, etc.)
    • Must not have a noticeable negative affect on performance
    • Must not conflict with any default features of SMF (i.e. requiring files in Settings.php)
    • If the mod queries the database, it must use db_query() instead of mysql_query()

• (SMF 2.0) All queries must use the generic $smcFunc functions for handling databases. Please see SMF 2.0 Database Functions for more information
      • All queries must be in source files, not the templates
    • Must successfully install and uninstall on a default install of SMF (unless it is dependant on another mod) for all versions it is compatible with

• Must remove everything on uninstallation that is added in installation (including files and images) with the exception of language entries, database tables, database columns and database rows
  • All added features must work correctly
  • Make sure text strings are understandable with correct spelling and grammar

• The mod must be in English, although it may have other translations as well
    • Any non default language (any other language other than english) must ignore or skip the file (as that language may not be installed)
    • All text strings must be in language files
  • There must be no unexpected errors in the error log
  • Please use LF (Unix style) for your line feeds. Most editors have the option to change this

Due to the many things in the list above, more complex mods may take longer to approve.

It has also come to attention that some members have been contacting team members to get their mod approved quicker. When you do this, we will move your mod to the end of the list of mods awaiting approval. If the mod hasn't been approved for two weeks, you are welcome to make a post about it without any consequences.

Thanks.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

Daniel15

QuoteThere must be no unexpected errors in the error log
Just a hint to developers, if you put "debug mode" on (not sure of the correct term for it), errors are more obvious, as they're written out to the page. To put this on, set:

$db_show_debug = true;

In the settings.php file (is this documented anywhere? I only found this out by looking through some source files)

This will output errors on the page (as opposed to hiding them), as well as put MySQL debugging information at the bottom of the page.
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

SleePy

Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Chris Curran

Pardon the probably stupid question: The threads in the sub-board "Mods and Packages" - how do those get created? Is a thread created for each mod/package as it is approved, or is there another mechanism that is used to create a thread in that sub-board?

thanks,
Chris Curran

Sarke

I'm pretty sure a thread is created automatically when the MOD is approved.

My MODs          Please don't PM me for support, post in the appropriate topic.

winrules

Yes, Sarke is correct, the thread will automatically be created when the mod is approved.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

Daniel15

What do you mean by non-free? Does the mod itself cost money? Or does it require a non-free system (eg. something like my FlashChat Integration mod)?
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

karlbenson

Can I ask, I've had a mod waiting since 18th January. Its now out of date (as it was for 1.1.1)
If I update it, will it lose its place in the queue?

winrules

Quote from: karlbenson on February 26, 2007, 03:39:24 PM
Can I ask, I've had a mod waiting since 18th January. Its now out of date (as it was for 1.1.1)
If I update it, will it lose its place in the queue?
No not at all. Also right now there isn't an exact "quene" but we try to do them in the order they were submitted.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

Daniel15

QuoteIf I update it, will it lose its place in the queue?
As Winrules was saying, no, it won't. Your mod will still have the same ID, just different files.

Also, I'm sorry it's taking so long to approve it, we have quite a few mods to approve at the moment...

karlbenson

Thank you for your responses.  I'm more than happy to wait.  I just didn't want to throw a spanner in the works by resubmitting an upgraded version.

Quote from: winrules on October 03, 2006, 03:53:01 PM

Once a mod has been submitted, the ID can't be changed, meaning if when people first submit the mod (like me) and they include a space, people have to remove the mod and submit it fresh.

winrules

Quote from: karlbenson on February 27, 2007, 04:36:42 PM

Once a mod has been submitted, the ID can't be changed, meaning if when people first submit the mod (like me) and they include a space, people have to remove the mod and submit it fresh.
I know. I think we're going to make the mod site not accept mods that have spaces in the ID. That way the user will know right away and a new mod entry won't have to be created.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

Joshua Dickerson

Quote from: karlbenson on February 27, 2007, 04:36:42 PM
Thank you for your responses.  I'm more than happy to wait.  I just didn't want to throw a spanner in the works by resubmitting an upgraded version.

If you have a mod that has a space in it, could you make a post requesting it be fixed? Hopefully we can sort them all out with a simple query, but sometimes that might not work.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

ディン1031

I've a amall question.

I'd like to release a beta version of my developed Thank-You-Matic, to find the last errors in it. (Because for me it's a huge mod with a lot of changes). Must this mod aprroved again when the final release will made?

(Okay, i think when i release it, it will take weeks (wait since 6 weeks now, to see one of my last mods be approved or declined... is it possible that i made huge mistakes... because it take really long). Until i see the mod beta aprroved, but i can wait.)

Bye
DIN1031
Support only via MOD Thread! NO PM Support!
My Forum: ayu][kult Forum
My Mods: My Small Mod Collection
My Parser: DIN1031's ModParser
Current Info: More away the next days, because i've to much work to do :x

Daniel15

QuoteMust this mod aprroved again when the final release will made?
As far as I know, mods only need to be approved once :)

It's a really good idea to release the beta version of your mod, so people can find problems in it ;)

Rudolf

Quote from: Daniel15 on March 01, 2007, 02:38:10 AM
It's a really good idea to release the beta version of your mod, so people can find problems in it ;)
And it's a really good idea to approve beta mods, so people can find problems in them on live system.
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

ディン1031

Quote from: Rudolf on March 01, 2007, 06:52:47 AM
Quote from: Daniel15 on March 01, 2007, 02:38:10 AM
And it's a really good idea to approve beta mods, so people can find problems in them on live system.
I made this with every mod, but this will be my the first one with beta status on release on SMF. :)

Bye
DIN1031  
Support only via MOD Thread! NO PM Support!
My Forum: ayu][kult Forum
My Mods: My Small Mod Collection
My Parser: DIN1031's ModParser
Current Info: More away the next days, because i've to much work to do :x

Rudolf

That was a sarcastic remark.
Since I'm here I read about why the approval takes so time: the team tries to make sure that the mods are safe to use.

...and then they approve mods in beta status.
If you want to release your mod post a topic and make the package available for download. (I'm sure you have some space somewhere on the web) If someone is interested in testing it they will download it and test. If you don't get complaints, then remove the beta status and submit the mod.

It's not the first time I see beta mods approved. It really doesn't match what the team is saying about the approval process.
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

Joshua Dickerson

Rudolf: we try to make sure the mod works. So, if it works, and has no apparent issues we don't know if it is in beta status. How would we?
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Advertisement: