SMF as Content Management System?

Started by xty, February 03, 2007, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xty

Currently I use MovableType (for CMS) and phpBB (for bulletin board) for my community site. I'm about to totally reconstruct my site and am wondering if using only SMF could replace both. I mean not only the bulletin board, but also the CMS.

Here's what I think. Most of the category/boards will act as a normal boards, but some specific boards will be the source for the CMS. First post in the board (posted only by moderators) will be the "article" and the replies (when it's enabled/commentable) will be the "comments" of the article. These article and comments will appear in the homepage of the site through SSI or some scripts, just like when published by CMS. And ideally it can have something like a "trackback" commonly configured in CMS/blog.

At the end I don't need to manage two applications.
Is it possible? Any mod required/available?

NEMINI

signatures are boring.

animecosmo

I also recommend Tiny Portal. It is great for integrating an actual website with a forum. :)

xty

Thanks for the info & link. Earlier I went to mod section and found out that TP was discontinued. I guess someone should update it ;)

So far I'm testing SMF 1.1.1 + Ancient & Rusted theme + Ad Management mod (which is not yet working with non-default themes) ... and soon TP 0.9.7.1.

Basically, having experience in phpBB where it's difficult to upgrade when involving manual mods (that's why I'm about to totally reconstructing my site to SMF), would I have the same problem with SMF (+TP+mods)? Will it always involve manual coding when I upgrade SMF or TP or any other mods? If yes, maybe I would stick to the standard one (without any mods, or maybe even themes).

NEMINI

TP is not outdated.  Just the version in the SMF download section is (thats why I gave the link to the TP website where the latest version is always available).

If you use mods they will need to be reinstalled after upgrades.  Depending how many mods and which ones its not hard at all with the package manager.  If you use custom themes this increases the work, again depending on which mods, some mods require editting of theme files some do not.  If it does and your theme has the file editted you will need to do that part manually.
signatures are boring.

Advertisement: