News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgraded and registration form is different - I've got two?

Started by beckstrous, March 24, 2007, 05:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckstrous

Hello,

I hope someone can help with my problem. I upgraded from bridge 1.1.6 to 1.1.7 and from SMF 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 today. Using the latest version of Joomla.

Since then, I seem to have two registration forms. I think one is the bridge registration and the other is the SMF registration. This is despite the fact that when I go to my Joomla backend and select Components > SMF Bridge > Configuration, the option "use Bridge registration" is selected. If I go to Components > SMF Forum registration I seem to go to exactly the same place as for SMF Bridge configuration (it says "com_smf" in the path on both and they look exactly the same).

I am really, really confused. I have several users and don't want to mess up the settings in the database. But when I am on the homepage of my site (www.twistedear.com) and I click the register link, I get taken here:

http://www.twistedear.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=49?action=register [nofollow]
This is the SMF registration, correct? Before the upgrade, that link went to the bridge registration.

When I click the register link on the forum, I go here:
http://www.twistedear.com/index.php?option=com_smf_registration&task=register [nofollow]
This is the Bridge registration, right?

How do I change things so that the two links go to the same place again?

My other question is related to spam. I am getting loads of it. If I change the registration to SMF registration (I notice it has image verification) will this mess up all of the existing users? Will users go into the Joomla database as well as the SMF one?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions but I have searched and searched and am going round in circles!

Orstio

Go to your SMF admin panel.

Click on Server Settings.

What is in the field labelled "Forum URL" ?

beckstrous

Thank you for the quick reply. I really do appreciate it.

This is what is in that field:

http://www.twistedear.com/forum [nofollow]

...should it be something else?

Orstio

I've registered on your site.  Can you give me super admin access?  I've seen this on a few sites, and I'd like to make this consistently correct.

beckstrous

Thanks again. Sorry for the delay getting back to you - I was out yesterday.

I have made you a super admin, hopefully for both the website and forum. If I just need to change that code as mentioned in the other post let me know and I will give it a go.

I was getting a bit confused and wondered if I had edited something incorrectly.

Thank you  :)

Orstio

I actually still can't figure out why the original code doesn't work...but the fix seems to, so I won't bother trying to figure it out.

And, yes, changing to SMF registration will reduce the amount of spam you'll get on your forum.   

beckstrous

Quote from: Orstio on March 26, 2007, 05:43:40 PM
I actually still can't figure out why the original code doesn't work...but the fix seems to, so I won't bother trying to figure it out.

And, yes, changing to SMF registration will reduce the amount of spam you'll get on your forum.  

Thank you very much. If I change to SMF registration does that affect the existing users that are already in the database?

Orstio

QuoteIf I change to SMF registration does that affect the existing users that are already in the database? 

No.

beckstrous

Great. Thanks for all your help. It is most appreciated.

Advertisement: