News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Introducing SMF 2.0

Started by Grudge, April 08, 2007, 10:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

For many months now we've been asked questions about what the plans are for the next release of SMF - what features it will have and when it will be available. We are now in a position to answer some of these questions. Simple Machines is proud to announce that the next version of SMF will be version 2.0 - in recognition of the scale of the changes implemented since SMF 1.1.

SMF 2.0 represents a significant step forward from the current version of SMF and has been in development alongside SMF 1.1 since December 2005. As well as adding new features SMF 2.0 makes considerable changes "under the hood" with improved caching, database abstraction and a move towards "Model, View, Controller" functions to improve integration and simplify mod writing. Whilst we are reluctant to announce all the features for this upcoming version the ones currently implemented include:

• Database abstraction - with support for PostgreSQL and SQLite planned alongside that of MySQL.
  • Automatic installation of packages into themes other than just the default.
  • Email templates to simplify customization of forum emails.
  • Moderation center including post, topic and attachment moderation - to allow approving of user content before it is made public.
  • User warning system.
  • Additional group functionally including group moderators and requestable/free assignable groups.
  • WYSIWYG editor to provide an intuitive user interface to those users not familiar with BBC.
  • Permission improvements such as group inheritance and permission profiles to further reduce the complexity of the permissions system.
  • File based caching for a performance increase on all forums regardless of whether an accelerator is installed.
  • Mail queuing system to stagger the sending of emails to improve performance on large forums.
  • Advanced signature settings to allow the administrator of a forum to more tightly control the contents of users signatures.
  • Personal messaging improvements including ability to automatically sort incoming messages and a variety of display options.
  • Improved upgrade script with better timeout protection and simpler user interface.
  • Custom profile fields to enable administrators to add additional member fields from the administration center.

This is only a handful of the many improvements made in 2.0. Whilst we are not able to commit to a firm timetable for release of 2.0 we are hoping to get an initial beta in the hands of our Charter Members come June this year, with the first public beta likely to be around late October.

Simple Machines

I'm only a half geek really...

b0x

Sweet! ;D

I had a look at the screenshots and it looks very promising. Can't wait to see the beta!

BTW I seem to be missing a few words at the end of some sentences (using IE7). When replying to the posts, the missing words do show up.

Mr. Tiger

really great changes.
but why you don't add referral system?
that is one of the most wanted changes.

Daniel15

Digg it!

QuoteBTW I seem to be missing a few words at the end of some sentences (using IE7). When replying to the posts, the missing words do show up.
It's a known problem with this new theme, and will be fixed soon ;)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Dannii

Quote from: moinuddin102 on April 09, 2007, 12:12:35 AMreally great changes.
but why you don't add referral system?
that is one of the most wanted changes.
It's not one of the most wanted features that I've seen. And even if it was... less features is better than more. The SMF Dev team is very good at ensuring SMF doesn't become bloaty.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

~Kikoish~

Is it just me? Or is it really the letters are cut off on the right side of the forum?

Jobber

I'm loving it already. I have been using smf for over a year now and must say for the simple fact that it is free and is soo feature rich it makes me soo happy :)

I have had many people say why don't you just buy vb, and i have to look at them and say, well from everything I've seen vb do smf has usually been able to do, and if it couldn't out of the box their is either a mod for it or a planned addition in a new version :)

lets all help to keep this alive. I personally am looking forward to the improvements in theming and whatnot.

it's not that I am incapable of creating a theme myself or tweaking an existing, but it would be sooo nice to have a more streamlined approach that i can just go blah blah goes here and here and wham I'm done :)

course that would mean everyone would have to be working with css to pull off lolol.

is that really such a hard world to see??? :)

thanks again for all your hard work and I look forward to this new version with open arms

青山 素子

Thanks for the kind words, Jobber, and thanks for being part of the SMF family.

Quote from: ~Kikoish~ on April 09, 2007, 02:02:19 AM
Is it just me? Or is it really the letters are cut off on the right side of the forum?

Known issue on the new theme used here. It will be fixed as soon as possible. There is a running topic elsewhere on bugs for the theme.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

~Kikoish~

Quote from: Motoko-chan on April 09, 2007, 02:15:47 AMIs it just me? Or is it really the letters are cut off on the right side of the forum?

Known issue on the new theme used here. It will be fixed as soon as possible. There is a running topic elsewhere on bugs for the theme.
I think it is my web browser. I tried using Firefox, it seems ok. Are we supposed to use only Firefox instead?

ladynada

God Bless the SMF Dev team and we of the SMF family and communities!

nada
WORK for Truth, Print it, Take Time to READ ALL LINKS NOTED  click here --> The TWO Witnesses are Mom and Dad and SMF Skins

Octagon Girl

It looks great! I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Vanz

It looks great!!! Nice work!!!

Daniel15

Quote from: ~Kikoish~ on April 09, 2007, 02:19:19 AM
Quote from: Motoko-chan on April 09, 2007, 02:15:47 AMIs it just me? Or is it really the letters are cut off on the right side of the forum?

I think it is my web browser. I tried using Firefox, it seems ok. Are we supposed to use only Firefox instead?
Yeah, it's a known problem with how IE handles the theme. We're working on fixing it, but for the mean time, using Firefox or Opera is also a good fix :D
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

klumy

Superb to hear, that SMF 2.0 will come out soon!!

Is it also planned, that the "user" can set the amount of topics and replies per page?

cave

Great news! Thanks for the information Grudge!

LeGaS

Really nice improvements, can't wait for it!

Elmacik

As I repeated many times before, Go SMF! :)
SMF casts an anchor in my heart :)
Home of Elmacik

L.G.S

This looks sweet :)

I think the main website is a step down from the previous one though
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

mip69

How about customizable profiles whit editable fields? Would it be a new feature in version 2.0?
Mvh Micke
www.ciklider.se

Daniel15

Quote from: mip69 on April 09, 2007, 05:53:00 AM
How about customizable profiles whit editable fields? Would it be a new feature in version 2.0?

You mean something like this?:
QuoteCustom profile fields to enable administrators to add additional member fields from the administration center.

;)

Advertisement: