Coppermine integration

Started by charlottezweb, November 07, 2003, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlottezweb

This is for anyone (though I believe Spaceman-Spiff ported/coded the mod I'm using now)...

What's the outlook looking like for keeping a large coppermine/yse gallery I have now once I move to SMF...I'm wondering if I should jump ship before my gallery gets much bigger and just link directly to a full coppermine install instead of the integrated one.  The reason I ask is that I'd of course LOVE to keep all my current comments and all that (as well as the way it's perfectly integrated for user comment posts, etc.) but if it's not gonna be feasible for SMF, I might as well cut my losses now since my gallery gets new pics and comments added daily.

Any comments from anyone who is smarter than me about this?  :)

Thanks,
Jason

Raine

I've always wondered why we don't use Menalto's Gallery instead?  A lot of people use this one and it's quite powerful as well.  I have used it for the longest time, perhaps it's time we consider integrating that? 

Ideally, of course, SMF would have it's own CMS and gallery built in... but that's for the long haul...

charlottezweb

I too use menalto's but I just did a coppermine standalone install a few weeks back for a client and I really like it (more so than Gallery by a good bit)...

Jason

[Unknown]

Quote from: Raine on November 07, 2003, 07:04:38 PM
I've always wondered why we don't use Menalto's Gallery instead?  A lot of people use this one and it's quite powerful as well.  I have used it for the longest time, perhaps it's time we consider integrating that? 

Ideally, of course, SMF would have it's own CMS and gallery built in... but that's for the long haul...

I thought SMF was a forum.  Did I miss some memo?

-[Unknown]

Omar Bazavilvazo

I used Menalto, and I think looks uglier than Coppermine.

Also, it isn't easy to use many language files with it, until next version I think they were going to do it on a decent way.

In overall, I like coppermine more, even it lacks some useful function that Menalto has :)

Personal Signature:
HablaJapones
http://hablajapones.org
http://hablajapones.org/tutoriales.php

NO me manden PM para soporte o dudas
...Leo los foros como todos...

charlottezweb

Does this mean you're volunteering to update Spiff's mod for SMF  :)

LOL

Jason

Raine

Quote from: [Unknown

-[Unknown]

It is.  But as much as we create a product to be pure, we want it to be successful.  When it comes to something like, for example, a CMS, most of the competition has it, so we'd be selling ourselves short by not having it.  I understand that anything of that nature is for the long run, which is why I mentioned that.  I can understand that many users don't need it, but there are also the other half of us who do, which is why I'm hoping you're still going to do the *nuke integration.

Tyris

I'd guess that alot of people would like a CMS... but a CMS is an ADDITIONAL large piece of software, unless its very simple...
So I think that kinda thing is best left to mods, otherwise SMF as a forum and CMS would be just too "phat" for anyone who only wanted a forum to consider using.

There will no doubt be a few good cms's that support SMF... so it shouldn't be a problem.

Or better yet... write your own ;)
thats what I'm doing.. I got the basis of it running really nicely.. now I just need the member permissions code from SMF to link it up, then I can continue it and eventually finish it off ^_^
of course being the n00b coder I am its not gonna be great... but its easily my best coded and largest project :) lots of fun too :) I just love seeing bits of my code work :)

Fizzy

Quote from: [Unknown] on November 07, 2003, 10:01:24 PM

-[Unknown]

[Unknown] - I think this is one of the key issues that some people including me get our wires crossed about.
You said that you thought this was about a forum, but there are others who take a broader view. The url into the "Forum" uses the directory of "Community".
For some of us (particularly myself) that is what the "forum" represents, a full blown community. My members enjoy a lively community which has YaBBSE as it's core.
Your statement leads me to think that you see the SMF project as a forum, short and sweet, yet for those of us seeing it as a complete online community we like to be able to intergrate as much as possible to give a more complete community experience.

Does that make any sense ?

One of the greatest attractions for me when I first starting looking at forum programs was the fact that Yabb and then later YaBBSE was rich with the extra bits needed to help create a thriving community.
If SMF is going to be designed to be 'just a forum' (and I use that term loosely) then ultimately I think that SMF will lose users for that reason alone.

Ultimately in my mind it boils down to one thing.
SMF can either be a very good 'also ran' or it can lead the competition and develop in to a community system with the forum at its core that leaves all of the competition dead in the water, but that's just my take on it.

I appreciate that many users may only be looking for a forum and that will be enough for them, but for those members here that would like to really develop their sites they may find themselves looking at the competition and wondering what is best for their own community.

Back to the topic though.
We have the facility to add attachments of images, it seems only natural and more professional to be able to properly manage those images into an easy to read and easy to navigate addition.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

old dan

Quote from: Fizzy on November 08, 2003, 09:07:52 AM

Back to the topic though.
We have the facility to add attachments of images, it seems only natural and more professional to be able to properly manage those images into an easy to read and easy to navigate addition.
You make some very good points. I personally think of YaBBSE & SMF as forums. I'm not in any way involved in the coding of SMF but I hope they are coding it in a way that would make it easy to add on to and port over other programs. Or better yet, future SM projects. :)

However, I think a image addon mod would be fairly easy to do. As you pointed out there is already the option to upload images. All that is really needed is to put them into directories, a db field for description, owner, etc. and some code to display the pics. That could be one of the very first mods. :)

But I don't think it should standard. Keep Simple Machines simple. :)
The No One fro President campaign - take back your country.
Discuss political and social issues at The Freedom Exchange Online

Fizzy

That's the difference between an also ran and a thoroughbred winner.
The also ran is simple, the thoroughbred winner has that something extra that makes it a winner.
Don't get me wrong, I am now fully behind SMF but I just want to see it be realised with its full potential and to stuff the competition into a bag.

charlottezweb

Okay, back to the subject :)

This was about a MOD folks, not a feature in YSE or SMF.

Everyone has valid points, however, if you want something like that, I suggest you go with a portal system (like Nuke as mentioned above) and look to port a YSE/SMF install into it.  I don't know about everyone but I'm here to have the best there is in forum software.  Wasting time on anything else at this point is just that -- wasting time. 

I think we should let our development team do what they do best -- develop the best forum around! 

Oh, and back to my *original* question  :)

Does anyone know the outlook of maintaining the coppermine integration mod?

Thanks,
Jason

[Unknown]

This first part I will type without reading your replies.

Some people want CMS's, and some want forums.  Now, let's make an analogy to cars and vans. (forums and CMS's)  Some people want cars, and some people want vans.  The people who want vans will take a car and not like it as much, but the people who want cars won't really take vans.
Now imagine that I could give you a "van upgrade" to make a car into a van.  And imagine that all of this was free.  Wouldn't it be, by common sense, only logical to make cars and van upgrades?  Even if some cars already had the van upgrades built in, why would you kick yourself and not make cars?

That's the point.  Simple Machines, in theory, could make a CMS.  And it could integrate awesomely with SMF.  But WHY IN THE WORLD should it be integrated in as the only option?  That's stupid - it's like Toyota dropping all their compacts from production.  It would not gain them ANYTHING.  And the person who did it would get fired.
Oh, but, larger cars are better!  Who wants compacts, right?  No need to sell them - right?

Yes, this is a community.  But it's not a CMS.  CMS doesn't stand for "Community Management System."  A CMS is a website-in-a-box for those too lazy to make their own.  You can have a website without having a community - and you can have a community without a website.  Look at www.webhostingtalk.com - there's no website there, just a forum.  Just a community.

SMF is a forum.  It doesn't stand for "Simple Machines Forum CMS" :P.

Fizzy, you need to take economics.  You don't make a product with everything no one wants and pare down the crap they don't want, you make a product that people want and ALSO products other, smaller groups want that go together.  Not everyone wants a CMS who wants a forum.... just because you do doesn't mean everyone is you.

I think Old Dan has the point just right...

No the difference, Fizzy, is quality.  Not making your lamp drive you to work.

I've made quite a few changes to make integration with systems such as *nuke easier.  Compuart has written something of a CMS for SMF already.  BUT IT'S NOT GONNA BE BUILT IN!

-[Unknown]

Spaceman-Spiff

i think Jack will convert his YSE-Coppermine integration bridge
his way is pretty good since the integration is not tighly integrated, so updates on both software can be done without ruining the integration

i myself haven't played around with the latest Coppermine version, and i'm not that comfy yet with SMF
so, it might take a while before i converted my mod

btw, Coppermine 1.2.0 RC2 looks pretty cool: http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/demo/

Tyris

sorry to be off topic again... but I'd just like to point out that a lamp that could drive me to work (or school)... would be pretty damn cool :P ;D

Spaceman-Spiff

the only thing i dont like about coppermine website is... it's too phpBB-ish (i'm just so tired looking at subsilver themes everywhere)
i like the older theme better

charlottezweb

Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on November 08, 2003, 11:54:19 AM
i think Jack will convert his YSE-Coppermine integration bridge
his way is pretty good since the integration is not tighly integrated, so updates on both software can be done without ruining the integration

i myself haven't played around with the latest Coppermine version, and i'm not that comfy yet with SMF
so, it might take a while before i converted my mod

Thanks for the response.  I guess I'll stick with it for now then. 

Heck, i don't even know if I'm running the latest version you released...either way, it works with 1.5.4 if that tells you anything.  :)

Jason

Raine

Hmm... I've been doing more research into Coppermine... I would love to see the integration with SMF... then I'd probably convert my Menalto to Coppermine... having it integrated with SMF would make it such a powerful tool... I look forward to seeing this

Fizzy

I've been having a look at Coppermine too for the first time.
If I'm reading it properly then it looks like templates to match the up-coming SMF templaes should be fairly straight forward.
I'm guessing that then all we neem id for one of our resident coding Gurus to help out with intergration and we'll be sorted :)

Anguz

I was planning to write a mod to have galleries really inside the boards, not just in another section... I mention it in this message
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=3425/msg36346#msg36346

was planning to write it for YaBB SE, but will wait for SMF to be out instead
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

Advertisement: