News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Disable public registration

Started by JeffGr, April 13, 2009, 06:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffGr

I have a small 20 person forum I host for free. Daily I am getting numerous registration attempts from "undesirable" persons. How can I disable the registration so only I can register someone SMF 1.1.6, once they privately e-mail me.  I would prefer to be able to have a "Sorry this forum is private, for registration information please e-mail the webmaster" and a few other lines!
Thanks

Mick.

In the "registration" settings in admin,you can select wether you want to approve such members.   Once they register,youll get an email then you can approve them.

JeffGr

I understand that. What I want is not to have any  PUBLIC reference to being able to register anyone on the forum.. I want anyone registering to send me a private e-mail, then I would go into the admin and manually approve them. As it is now unless they are referred to me I won't register them.
I am tired of sexual content spam and all the Russian attempts to register.

Jade Elizabeth

Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: JeffGr on April 14, 2009, 09:41:39 AM
I understand that. What I want is not to have any  PUBLIC reference to being able to register anyone on the forum.. I want anyone registering to send me a private e-mail, then I would go into the admin and manually approve them. As it is now unless they are referred to me I won't register them.

Admin -> Registration -> Settings -> Method of registration employed for new members
Select Disabled. :)

After that you could probably edit the registration_disabled string in Errors.english.php.
It normally is "Sorry, registration is currently disabled." So you could probably just add to that, what ever info you want to show to those wanting to register. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Jade Elizabeth

Wow I didnt know there was a string for it :D

Awesome :D
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on April 14, 2009, 10:49:58 AM
Wow I didnt know there was a string for it :D
And now to write a doc on the strings :P
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Jade Elizabeth

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on April 14, 2009, 10:57:26 AM
Awww thanks for offering! ;D
Actually would be quite pointless, as H has a pretty good doc on them already linked to his sig ;)
That's where I go to cheat from :P
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Jade Elizabeth

That's not a document, it's a script! :P

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on April 14, 2009, 11:02:32 AM
That's not a document, it's a script! :P
Works brilliantly as a cheat sheet though, no need for further documentation ;D
Ok, I admit it might need some clarification to make it in to a doc, but you know.. :P
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

JeffGr

Quote from: LexArma on April 14, 2009, 10:43:33 AM
Quote from: JeffGr on April 14, 2009, 09:41:39 AM

Thanks I think that will do. Can I still register new members manually? Or is all registration disabled?

Admin -> Registration -> Settings -> Method of registration employed for new members
Select Disabled. :)

After that you could probably edit the registration_disabled string in Errors.english.php.
It normally is "Sorry, registration is currently disabled." So you could probably just add to that, what ever info you want to show to those wanting to register. :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: JeffGr on April 14, 2009, 12:08:35 PM
Thanks I think that will do. Can I still register new members manually? Or is all registration disabled?
You can always register new members through Admin -> Registration :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Invisionary

Hello all. This is my first post here and I just wanted to say. I love SMF forums. Gorgeous simple, fantastic job! Now regarding the nature of this post. I am using Joomla 2.5 + JFusion and the "Facebook connect" plugin for joomla. Everything between Joomla and Facebook connect seems to be working like a charm. I followed the instructions provided here to disable the registration on my SMF since it is a slave to the Joomla/Facebook connect feature. However, I keep getting this message:

smf2: needs to have user registration disabled as it is a slave. Users that register in a slave software can not login to Joomla

and this one:

smf2: Could not create the user: No Usergroup Was Founed

Is the first error message a fasle positive? Because it would appear as tho there is no registration button on the forums. However, in Joomla it shows a check mark next to registration enabled for SMF.

As for the second one I assume that means I need to create a permissions group that matches the Joomla options in the SMF groups setup?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks all.

Advertisement: