[4892] Firefox spell checker not working in the full editor

Started by NedF, June 20, 2011, 10:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NedF

The problem of the browser spell checker not working in the full message editor is still present in SMF 2.0 Gold.  The problem is if a word is marked as misspelled (red underline) you should be able to right click on it and get a list of corrected words in the context menu.  This only works in the full message editor if the misspelled word is on the last line of the message and then only if you click below the misspelled word.  If the misspelled word is anywhere but on the last line there is no way to get the word choice list in the context menu.

The context menu works correctly in the quick reply editor, however.

This is in Firefox, all current versions.  I haven't tested IE or other browser yet.
-- Ned --

SlammedDime

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

NedF

I haven't tested on Linux, just on Windows 7.  We have a number of reports from members describing the same problem, so it's not just my system.
-- Ned --

SlammedDime

Tested on FF3.6 on Win7 and it works as well... let me update to 4 and 5
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

SlammedDime

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

NedF

-- Ned --

marquisite

I can echo what was said above.

Underlining of incorrect words does not work from Firefox 5.0 on SMF 2.0 Gold for me.

The spell checking however still works from the pop up window (from pressing "Spell Check").

Antechinus

Speeling speeling nope it doesn't work. Not even in the quick reply on any line. Hey ho. Well that's a bugger. FF5 on XP.

IchBin™

Working for me with FF5 on Win7. Is the "check spelling" option enabled for those of you it's not working for? Right click the textbox and select the option in the context menu.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Antechinus

Tesint teh speel cheker thniyg.

Hey it works now. ;D

Right click > Add Dictionaries > choose your poison and install > sorted.

It seems that FF5 requires the appropriate dictionary to be installed before it will automatically check spelling.

Antechinus

TEsinfg teh slpeel cek in teh ful repyl.

That works too.

Antechinus

NedF

See my original message.  The spell checker works in the quick reply editor, and every other non-SMF forum so, yes, the spell checker is turned on in FF.

Something has changed here as the spell checker is now working the full message editor here.  It still doesn't work on our forum.
-- Ned --

Antechinus

See my earlier post about the dictionaries. ;)

(I already had the spell checking turned on, but initially did not have a dictionary installed)

NedF

Since the spell checker works everywhere else, it's still a bug in the SMF version running on our forum.  I do have a dictionary installed, the English/United States, and I do have Check Spelling checked.  It does work here, now, but still doesn't work on our forum.  What has been installed here recently that fixed the bug?
-- Ned --

Antechinus

Not sure. It also works on my local host running 2.0 Final. Could be the OS, possibly? I'm on XP at the moment. I'll do some more checking later.

NedF

Well, we've had reports from several members, and I don't think all are running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  And since it works here, and not there, for me, says there is something changed here that we don't have.  And this is just recently as it wasn't working here either, as the previous messages from me and others have stated.

Can we just say this is a bug in the released 2.0 and get on with the fix?
-- Ned --

Antechinus

If it's reproducible in a vanilla 2.0 installation that is running online: yes.

Like I said, will test some more later.

NedF

Ok, that's all we can ask.  Our forum admin is following this thread so we're looking forward to your findings.
-- Ned --

IchBin™

Is it the forum linked in your profile NedF? I just signed up there and tested FF5 on win7 on your forum. The textbox spell checker works just fine in both the quick and full reply for me on your forum.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Advertisement: