Change page title when there are unread posts

Started by phue, December 20, 2012, 04:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phue

I don't know if this is possible, but I got that working on my old phpBB installation with a self-made hack.

We regularly use the "All Unread Topics" page and have automatic reloading implemented. In my old forum, when there were unread posts, the page title changed to the amount of new posts. This is pretty handy if you got several tabs open. You immediately see (in every other tab) that there is a new post.

The amount isn't important, but is it possible to make the page title change when there are unread posts?

Cheers!

emanuele

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

phue

Ideally, but if this would change other page titles too, it wouldn't really matter to me. It's the only location where I really care about the page title.

Arantor

The problem with doing this is performance; while it may not be an issue for you in your site, it would be an issue for the bulk of SMF sites to handle the polling required to obtain unread posts for every user every x seconds.

I can see this being a viable mod for some sites, but I just can't see it in the core, I'm afraid.

Advertisement: