News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

what you see = what you get

Started by Acf, September 23, 2005, 04:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acf

hey hi :P

Wouldn't it be cool to start your topic wysiwyg?
Now a day in my country the number of slow connections is dropping rapidly, so the size of it will  in the future be negageable. Because it going faster and faster.  And also the noobs would find easier to post things.

Maybe flash or ActiveX?
Sigh...

Ivan Minic

I think this has already been discussed... because of server issues, i can't search, but i know that few topics have been posted..

Ben_S

More like wysinwyg.

I absolutly detest the thing on vB boards and resent the fact that many board admins enable it by default meaning I have to take up 2 precious m inutes of my time looking for the option to disable it.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

ExistenZ

I like WYSIWYG.....its....cute. bUt sometimes it can be a real pain.
Regards,
Andre

Oldiesmann

If we added a WYSIWYG editor, we'd have to hack up all the bbcode and post functions to convert all the HTML output to bbcode, and change any remaining HTML tags to &lt;tag&gt; (&lt; is < and &gt; is >), then figure out whether or not the resulting message exceeds the maximum size... It would slow things down quite a bit in my opinion.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Acf

Most of the work would be on the user side of things. A flashfile should be able to output bbcode to the server i geuss... The negative point would be a bigger pagesize...
Sigh...

Ben_S

And users posting with daft formatting that makes things harder to read only for the reason they can so so easilly.

I can see it now.

Still, as long as it can be totally disabled.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

bmwboy

Yeah! wysiwyg would be cool! But, there should be an easily visible link, that says "disable wysiwyg"

Wyld

A mate of mine was looking into writing a flash based editor to provide a wysiwyg environment, which passed the bbcode back to the system as if there was no fancy editor.  He gave up after a while though as he was pretty much a newbie flash devleoper and just got stuck.

Anyone here like writing flash? ;)

Dannii

Don't use flash!
If this ever became a feature it would have to be gmail quality. And have permissions attached. Perhaps only trusted people could have it so that newbies don't hurt our eyes with ugly formatting.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Acf

Sigh...

Wyld

Dannii

Hopefully the finished one wouldn't be in dutch :P
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Enc0der

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

ExistenZ

Well, is this ever going to become a reality?
Regards,
Andre

gijs

I hope so, it sure looks many people like to have this feature, considering all current and past requests for it...

Advertisement: