News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Trial membership upon registration

Started by truckworks, October 12, 2014, 12:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truckworks

I posted this question here, and also found a few search results related to what I'm trying to do. 

One from 2008 

and another from 2010 

Here is what I'm trying to do: 

- Guest decides to register, goes through process
- Upon registration, member is automatically assigned to "Trial Member" membergroup
- Trial period lasts 3 weeks, then member is reverted back to guest status without ability to just keep renewing trial

I attempted to do this via paid subscription (set cost to $0.00, but PayPal kicked it back) and didn't see any potential solutions in the permissions area.     

edit: Apparently "revert to guest status" was a poor choice of wording.  Perhaps I should have said "switch to a default membergroup" instead.
Any questions I post are related to 2.0.8.  Thank you all for any help you give me, truly a great community on here!

margarett

I don't get it... You want to kill each member every 3 weeks? Because you have to remove the account to make it a guest again...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

truckworks

After 3 weeks they are removed from the membergroup and set back to a basic, limited status.   

Any questions I post are related to 2.0.8.  Thank you all for any help you give me, truly a great community on here!

Kindred

ah, but that's not what you said... you said " reverted back to guest status"
(which is, essentially, deleting the account)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

truckworks

Just seems like splitting hairs to me since I've got multiple avenues of controlling what they can/can't see AFTER they're booted from the trial group.  Doesn't matter either way, the only important thing is filing them into a membergroup automatically upon registration that can be time limited. 

edit: nvm, I see what you're saying now.  Thanks for the response.

margarett

I can only give you an insight on how I would do it because I'm seriously out of time right now:
There is a MOD already to automatically add members to a certain group at registration
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1804

For the "3 weeks" thing, you can run a scheduled task that picks the users belonging to such membergroup and, if their registration date is <= 3 weeks from time(), set primary group = 0

This is plain simple if you are using primary membergroup. If you want to go to additional membergroups (to keep the status hidden), then it's *MUCH* more difficult.

Good luck ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

truckworks

Alright, so looking at that mod is there a way to change it so you can automatically assign people to a paid subscription instead of a membergroup?

margarett

Advertisement: